Latitude E5440: can macOS be installed on legacy bios mode?

brunojardim

• Administrators

You certainly could install OS X and early macOS versions on Dell laptops with Legacy BIOS. Chameleon, Enoch and Clover certainly supported this and Clover still does. Opencore natively requires UEFI mode though it could be tuned to run and boot on older systems with legacy BIOS mode only. No idea if recent versions still support this.

Why would you want to run in legacy BIOS mode? Win7 fully supports UEFI mode. From memory, BIOS just had to provide some specific functionality but it eludes me now.

In response to Hervé

>Win7 fully supports UEFI mode

Not really. On most systems, Windows 7 will just straight up refuse to boot in UEFI mode, either giving a BCD error or hanging on the Starting Windows screen. While Windows has had UEFI support since Vista SP1, it was quite broken until Windows 8. On some systems (usually systems that shipped with 7 but have UEFI in the BIOS setup, like the ThinkPad T420 or Latitude E6530), 7 will boot in UEFI mode, however you still must have CSM on to avoid the BCD error/starting windows hang. I don't own one so I can't confirm but I'm pretty sure the E5440 is a system that'll boot Windows 7 in UEFI mode if you have CSM enabled.