D630 GMA X3100: Issues with Lion/Mountain Lion installations

Lost-Entrepreneur439

another issue, not 100% sure if this is an all D630s issue or just a me issue, but Mountain Lion seems to have trouble installing, i had some trouble installing it the first time but eventually got it installed, but then I had to connect my D630's SSD to my desktop, and I didn't eject it when removing it, because of that, macOS chose to write protect the entire partition and I was forced to format it, and now no matter what I do, it always fails here. I tried redownloading the OS X installer, and installing OS X to a different SSD, but no matter what I did, it would always fail at the same spot. I'm going to try installing Lion then upgrading to Mountain Lion, since I've never had any issues installing Lion.

image.thumb.png.1ad2792c6f3eddf20c3c7555de4c69cc.png

Update - i didn't actually test with a different USB, and Lion randomly shut off during the install, and when I tried to boot it again, it was going at slow DVD speeds, and with those kinds of speeds, OS X would take hours to install, assuming my USB failed, trying with a different one now.

I managed to get OS X installed again, the additional voiceover voices pkg got corrupted, and over my time using it, I have discovered more issues, specifically the battery percentage isn't showing in the menu bar (tried enabling it in settings but it just vanished again, and settings said my battery was at 0%), and I find the touchpad is really glitchy, sometimes just randomly scrolling. I feel a lot of the issues could be fixed by using modern kexts (like lilu, virtualsmc, applealc, etc.) and a modern bootloader like Clover or OpenCore, however I can't use a modern bootloader, OpenCore fails to load the kernel with the error "0x1" and there's nothing like the Dortania guide for Clover so I have no idea how to make an EFI for it, and most modern kexts require Clover/OpenCore and don't support Chameleon (including Lilu and any of the kexts that rely on it, which is most modern kexts.). It works well enough for normal use for now though, I'm actually writing this message from my D630.

I have made progress with modernizing the kexts and bootloader, I have managed to get a 2020 version of Clover running and I'm using mostly modern kexts now, only exception being VoodooHDA because AppleALC didn't want to work for some reason. The latest version of Clover doesn't work, it gives me the same 0x1 error as OpenCore. So far I have managed to fix the shutting down/rebooting issue and the battery issue.

• Administrators

You can of course use Clover to boot and run OS X/macOS on the D series, even the Intel GMA models. See my High Sierra (and later) guides for the D630/D830 nVidia models. Bootpacks and versions of Clover are available in the guides. Most of those packs should be re-usable on the GMA models after minor modifications (use of suitable DSDT and relevant kexts). It should be noted that the bootpacks posted in the MLPF guides are about 11 years old and deprecated having never been revisited, contrary to the packs posted in the D6xx/D8xx support sections (in the threads pinned at the top of the sections) and that were 1st made available 2 years later in 2015. You should be using those last Lion packs with MLPF.

This being said, there's absolutely nothing to gain by using Lilu and its PlugIns (eg: AppleALC/Whatevergreen) on these Intel GMA D Series given the ancient hardware and the fact that they are limited to running ML at best. As for VirtualSMC, I doubt there is any benefit to gain from using the tuned FakeSMC versions that I had provided. With regards to the touchpad, you also have very little chances to find a better driver than what we had all those years ago for these old ALPS hardware.

Have fun in your experiments anyway.

I recently built an Inspiron 1520 as an archiving machine.
It may be useful as the specs are similar except for the GPU.

The AppleALC that has been released does not support 10.4 Tiger and 10.7 Lion, 10.11 and later.
10.4 still needs to be investigated, but there is my mod that has made it compatible with all of 10.5 and later.
I also fixed the mute button issue, the slider sync issue, and a lot of sound assertion errors.
It has been tested on 10.5-10.13.

For TrackPad, my 32/64 compiled version of the latest merge of Rehabman VoodooPS2 and Fraxul's merge in Pull requests so you can try it out.

I have also moved from Clover to the release version 0.9.6 OpenDuet and OpenCore no acpi mod binary 0.9.7.
The no acpi mod does not use ACPI when booting Windows, so you can use Windows just like Clover.
If you want to try it, use 0.9.6 because OpenDuet 0.9.7 is broken.

mod_kexts.zip