D620, D630, or E6400 - Which one would you choose?

io5150

• Administrators

The BT module is not difficult to add, physically speaking at least. However, you have to make sure that its ROM has been enabled/activated from within Windows before it can actually be used in OS X. Otherwise, it's detected, but unusable.

Look at the dedicated thread in R&D section.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at the installation page, step 5 

Your installation target device needs to be a Mac OS X Journaled (Extended) partition on your hard drive. So – create it! When you only want OS X on your harddrive, choose the GUID partition table (under Advanced).

If I plan on making a double (W7) or triple (Ubuntu) boot, do I leave this setting as the default or is there something else to choose for multiboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) at this stage of the process.  Just asking before I get to that point.

I have the myHack boot created with the D630 extras for my model, the BIOS is set (except for my previous post), and I am ready to roll.  YeeHaw.  

Thanks.

• Administrators

Leave BIOS settings as they are, partition your HDD as GUID (you will just reformat your spare partition NTFS for Win7 for example), use your Lion image (though you lost with that last point, unless you lean installing Lion rather than SL...)

I was wondering if I have to do the SL first and then upgrade to the Lion?  Or just go with the Lion?

I would prefer to use what ever will run best on the D630 that I have.  That was the point I was wanting to make sure of.

Thanks.

I am officially up and running SL on this D630.  Very smooth.  I did have a KP booting into the myHack the first time.  The messages were all tied to the intel wifi card.  I removed the card and was able to boot into the myHack installation.  I tracked down a couple of broadcom wifi cards from a friend who has some laptop parts he collects (no BT modules though).  I believe it is a 1390 (he also let me have a 1490).  After that the install went great.

But I also had a duh moment in this whole process.  AirPort would not turn on after the install and all of the system updates.  The system recognized the wifi card (3rd party with modes and channels).  I then realized that the wifi button on the side was turned off.  That was an id10t error ... what a noob.

On to installing the "other" OSs ... will let you know my progress on that front.

Ok ... I ended up re-doing the system because it would not let me install the W7 because of the GUID partition type.  I redid the build using MBR and it now works.  

How do I remove the "recovery partition" (from the W7 install - @100MB) from the list on the chameleon boot loader?  Is there a txt file I can edit? or a utility?

Thanks.

• Administrators

You can install Win7 on GUID partitioned HDD, that's what I have:

GUID HDD.jpg

That "recovery" partition, as you call, is automatically created when you re-partition your available disk space from Win7 installer. You can delete it of course (use Win disk manager for that), but that's gonna remain wasted disk space; you can't add that subsequently to the main Win7 partition as far as I know. The trick is to create your Win7 target partition prior to running the Win7 installer, so that you simply point to it when the installer asks you where you want Win7 to be installed. You can simply create a DOS partition from Mac OS X that you just reformat NTFS at Win7 installation.

Then you'll have to play with 'diskpart' command to change bootable partition and may have to re-install Chameleon.