Asus X75A/K75A-AB31

pavlovsdog

Greetings.

I'm trying to get my Asus K75A-AB31 running OSX 10.8.x with graphics and touchpad support.

I've been successful for the most part (not a noob at this; this would be Hack build #5 or so, plus I'm a long time Apple hardware owner/user) save for video. EDP seems to have a profile for this laptop; I'd like to confirm and if possible help/build a guide.

The specs of the laptop are:

Asus K75A-AB31 (version of Asus X75A)

From Intel:

ADVANCED
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer Manufacturer  ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Computer Model  X75A
System RAM  8.1 GB
CD or DVD Device  HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT70N
750 GB HD
Total Physical Memory 8.1 GB

GRAPHICS INFORMATION
Graphics Product [1] Intel® Processor Graphics 3000
Current Graphics Resolution 1600x900
Current Color Depth 32 Bits Per Pixel
Raw EDID[1] not detected

MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION
Manufacturer  ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Model  X75A
BIOS Version American Megatrends Inc. X75A.307
BIOS Release Date 06/14/12

PROCESSOR INFORMATION
Model  Intel® Core i3-2370M CPU @ 2.40GHz

WIRED NETWORKING INFORMATION
Wired Networking Product
Hardware IDs PCI\VEN_19​69&DEV_109​1&SUBSYS_1​4C71043&RE​V_10

WIRELESS NETWORKING INFORMATION
Wireless Networking Product  Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
Hardware IDs PCI\VEN_16​8C&DEV_003​2&SUBSYS_1​1861A3B&RE​V_01

I can get OSX running; using EDP however I can't get the video to work. Any ideas? The touchpad is probably an overlook; Ill figure it out.

I can get OSX running; using EDP howver I can't get the video to work. Any ideas? The touchpad is probably an overlook; Ill figure it out.

use the attached kexts and dsdt for your video. The issue is that you have new 3rd gen chipset with 2nd gen processor so you need some edits in frame buffer but still this has little artifacts rarely and disappears after sleep. 

Let me know after testing this.

NOTE: patched kexts are for 10.8.3

DSDT.aml.zip

Patched_GPU_Kexts.zip

Thanks for the reply; I'll give this a go and report back.

After a few days, here is that report back. (The post may have to be moved, as it is more of a guide).

I attempted three different builds with this laptop and I'll touch on all three methods. The Graphics Kexts work like a dream. Thanks!

Aptio Setup Utility (BIOS) on the laptop was not modified save to turn off UEFI, and changing the boot order to USB first DVD-R second. The BIOS interface does not give you a lot of options and does not recognize GPT as a boot volume natively.

Method 1: unifail using ML 10.8:

Built USB thumb drive using AppStore bought copy of 10.8 only to discover that the brand of USB thumb drive was causing problems. For the record this was a PNY USB 2.0 16 GB drive. I switched to a Kingston 16GB rugged drive. 

I could not boot to the desktop without the set -x flag. 

After reaching the desktop a format of the internal drive was necessary, and then I proceeded with the install. After completing the install and during the initial reboot with flags set (-x, then -x -v , then -x -v -f) I encountered kernel panics with the CPU Management kext. Adding cpus=1 (I do not understand why this worked; it made no sense) enabled me to get to single user access in order to move kext files from a second partition that has a repository of additional kext files on it.

After a second reboot (with Null CPU added and AppleIntelSNBGraphics and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri removed), I was able to reach the desktop and proceed with enabling the network driver via multifail and then using EDP to apply additional kexts with keyboard support, but no trackpad.

At this point I hosed the install (which led to my initial post) the first time.

I followed the same steps for a second install, installed the DSDT supplied by Emlydinesh and updated to 10.8.3 (once again removing AppleIntelSNBGraphics and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri) before applying EDP and weeding out duplicate kexts. After reboot laptop did not boot to desktop; I did not realize EDT was removing the DSDT. I re-added DSDT and laptop came to life.

Result: Install was a relative success, with a few kludgy steps.

Option 2: Using myHack.

After building the USB install using 10.8 and applying the /Extra folder bootpack supplied here I attempted the install.

The USB drive would not boot. It dawned on me rather quickly that it needed a AHCI Injector kext to make the drive appear internal, or I needed to create the myhack build on one of the partitions of the hard drive in the laptop. 

I quickly frustrated myself doing this as I can into more than few stumbling blocks. It's a great idea and it might be user error, but this took a little bit too much time. I did not complete the install.

Option 3 Distro Disk with stripped install - Using iFail 10.8.2 

This is the method that has resulted in the laptop I'm typing this to you on. This is not the way I wanted to do it but it seemed to have the best result.

Booted disk with option -x -v into the installer.

Installed the base OS  with no additional options save FakeSMC, Ethernet driver and Chameleon.

After install I rebooted with -x -s cpus=1 flags set. At the command line I removed AppleIntelSNBGraphics and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri from the Extensions directory and rebooted immediately.

I had to attach a USB keyboard and mouse to finish the setup.

I immediately upgraded to 10.8.3 via App Store and downloaded EDP.

After applying EDP, I added the DSDT to the Extra folder, removed any duplicate extensions (FakeSMC.kext and AppleIntelSNBGraphics and AppleIntelFramebufferCapri from the /System/Library/Extensions/ directory path) and rebooted with -v flag set on the set boot.

The laptop came to life and is in the present state.

I'll close with what doesn't work, because it appears that everything else is awesome.

-Internal MiniPCIe Wifi card. This is showing as an Atheros 9485 in Windows. I put eyes on it when removing the hard drive. It is marked as azure wave Model AR5B125 (AW-NE186H). I've not seen support for this card at all. I'm using an AirLink 101 AWLL5088 Mini USB Wifi Adapter. Works like a champ. It is a Realtek wifi chipset with OSX Drivers available. Very small profile (UPDATE: I came across an Atheros 9285 which works with the driver in EDT. This is working quite well.)

-Sleep.

If it goes to sleep, it does not wake up. I've installed the patched CPU management kext from EDP. Screen dimming is just fine, but once it goes to sleep it is not waking up. This one I have to get solved.

All in all, I could not have gotten this far without the help here. EDT is an awesome idea and I'm sure a lot of work went into it. It really does simplify things.

Thanks again for all your help, and I'll be around to participate in any way I can.

After a few days, here is that report back. (The post may have to be moved, as it is more of a guide).

I attempted three different builds with this laptop and I'll touch on all three methods. The Graphics Kexts work like a dream. Thanks!

-Sleep.

If it goes to sleep, it does not wake up. I've installed the patched CPU management kext from EDP. Screen dimming is just fine, but once it goes to sleep it is not waking up. This one I have to get solved.

All in all, I could not have gotten this far without the help here. EDT is an awesome idea and I'm sure a lot of work went into it. It really does simplify things.

Thanks again for all your help, and I'll be around to participate in any way I can.

Our EDP is little broken for some models which i've added but will be resolved soon, Can you send me a ioregfile and your current extra folder so i can help with this sleep issue?

Absolutely. I will do that when I get back in front of the laptop.

EDP is a great idea, provided most users keep the machine stock and don't get too adventurous. It takes out a lot of the guesswork.

As a side, I misidentified my laptop as a K75; It is an F75A (although it shows up in diags as K or X75).