D430 / 10.6.6 - boots only from USB, not HDD

moonman

• Administrators

maybe you should run a hard drive utility to check it and make sure it's not defective. unless apple locks the bootsector on there machines disks. i wonder if setting a hdd password would unlock it. looks like you have some homework to do...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

The problem could be the drive. I was going to buy a drive from a dealer on eBay but the ad stated that the drive would only work in the iPod and nothing else. I emailed the seller and he stated it had to do with the drive. He stated he would be getting some in that would work with the Dell. If I remember he stated it had to do with the boot sector or something that Apple had specified for the drives?

I hope this helps.

ron

Hi Ron.

Thanks for the post. I'm starting to suspect some incompatibility with the drive. Though it does say that it's for the Macbook Air, not for an iPod.

If there may be a problem with the "boot sector" or something, does anyone know how to format the drive so that I could install Snow Leopard on it?

If there is an incompatibility, is it only with the Mac OS? As I said, I installed Windows 7 on it without any problems and it boots fine.

Is there a flash utility that could flash the HD and make it usable with the Mac OS?

Alternatively, what about the idea of Dual Booting Snow Leopard and Win 7, which I intended to do anyway. That is, boot to the startup screen where I choose which OS to boot from, 10.6 or Win 7. Do you think that might work?

Thanks.