Black screen before Apple screen - Dell Latitude E5520 (HD Graphics 3000) - 10.9 Mavericks

JaneGoodall

Hello

The problem comes from the KP "sleepEnabler.kext"

sleepEnabler.kext deleted if there are install

DSDT patcher & Kexts HD3000

Thanks, I can boot with this bootpack using your DSDT and the DSDT/SSDT that was made for me on the request thread DSDT_SSDT_Patched_Dell_E5520_i5_2540M.zip if I enter dart=0 on boot:

Works:

Battery

Keyboard

Trackpad (DSDT/SSDT from the request thread only)

Mouse buttons near trackpad (request thread only)

Doesn't work:

1080p resolution (1024x768 in your DSDT, 1280x800 with the DSDT/SSDT from the request thread)

Wired networking (detects ethernet but it can't automatically get my router's DHCP information, nor can it manually connect to my modem, my real Macbook connects fine with no configuration)

WiFi

Battery manager in file bar

Graphics in general are buggy, see E5520 glitchy graphics.MOV

I'm going to use that bootpack with a different set of patched DSDT/SSDT files. These ones are for my exact laptop, not one with an i5430M processor. 

have you tried adding nullcpu.kext? also check your bios if you have VT-D option and disable it or add dart=0 to your boot flags. incase your bios does not show an option for it.

I tried all of those already except dart=0, but I tried dart=0 boot and I can log in. Thanks! I'm having some other issues, mostly graphics and networking. I added them to the post directly above this one.

• Administrators

umm whats Ctrl+F ? if you mean -F that bypasses org.chame.Boot configurations... has nothing to do with nullcpu.kext

i just remove/rename file Extention for AppleIntelCPUPowerManegment.kext from SLE and in E/E, but that works for me; for you maybe yes maybe no. nullcpu.kext is the safe method but it will break sleep.

umm whats Ctrl+F ? if you mean -F that bypasses org.chame.Boot configurations... has nothing to do with nullcpu.kext

i just remove/rename file Extention for AppleIntelCPUPowerManegment.kext from SLE and in E/E, but that works for me; for you maybe yes maybe no. nullcpu.kext is the safe method but it will break sleep.

I think I edited my post as you were responding. :P

Do you have any ideas as to what could be causing my graphics issue in this post? I recored a video of it with my phone, E5520 glitchy graphics.MOV. I booted with -v dart=0 and saw no log messages that could point me to the problem. What log files should I look at to point me in the right direction?

My internet isn't working so I EDP won't install. But I don't think that's the problem:

Am I supposed to do something special post-installation? I thought that putting the bootpack and DSDT/SSDT/SMBios.plist onto my USB stick (I completely removed the default /Extra) would install the kexts without me having to run EDP.

• Administrators

well you need to run my fix when ever there are changes in your Extensions folder.

dart=0 is to disable vt-d issues related to virtualization if your core supports that feature but the bios does not have a disable option. vt-d can cause instant reboots.

the glitching in your video is that you are missing hardware acceleration for your graphics card. frame buffer issue or un supported graphics.

well you need to run my fix when ever there are changes in your Extensions folder.

dart=0 is to disable vt-d issues related to virtualization if your core supports that feature but the bios does not have a disable option. vt-d can cause instant reboots.

the glitching in your video is that you are missing hardware acceleration for your graphics card. frame buffer issue or un supported graphics.

I ran myFix after making my last change to the Extensions folder, which was on the USB stick before installation. I haven't made any changes to it post-install.

This means it's either a frame buffer issue or it''s not using hardware rendering. I have no idea which one:

The HD 3000 is supported on my Latitude E5520. How can I troubleshoot this? Shouldn't /System/Library/Extension/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext enable graphics acceleration? I've been searching Google and these forums endlessly and I've found nothing. I've tried grepping for everything under the Sun that could possibly tell me what's causing this.

E5520 glitchy graphics Launcher.MOV

• Administrators

depends on your device id for the graphics.... apple actually messed up some of the id's in the kexts. i don't remember which version corrected the id's. if it's 10.9.1 or one of the 10.9.2 previews. if you can. try updating chameleon they have added a lot of new code lately some pertain to graphics as of today it is at rev 2368

depends on your device id for the graphics.... apple actually messed up some of the id's in the kexts. i don't remember which version corrected the id's. if it's 10.9.1 or one of the 10.9.2 previews. if you can. try updating chameleon they have added a lot of new code lately some pertain to graphics as of today it is at rev 2368

My Intel HD 3000 Graphics is detected in About This Mac/Details but it only has 64 MB of shared memory. I think it should be 384 MB. Unfortunately the BIOS says it's 64 MB but it won't let me change it so I need to change it in Mac OS X somewhere. Would this be in the DSDT or SSDT files?

How do I change my framebuffer size? Do I need to patch my DSDT file like that guide suggests? Someone already made one for my laptop in the DSDT patch request thread so I don't know how much patching it again will help.

My Intel HD 3000 Graphics is detected in About This Mac/Details but it only has 64 MB of shared memory. I think it should be 384 MB. Unfortunately the BIOS says it's 64 MB but it won't let me change it so I need to change it in Mac OS X somewhere. Would this be in the DSDT or SSDT files?

How do I change my framebuffer size? Do I need to patch my DSDT file like that guide suggests? Someone already made one for my laptop in the DSDT patch request thread so I don't know how much patching it again will help.

hopefully 10.9.2 will solve your issues. it looks like it will be released soon.

So it's impossible to set my framebuffer size to be greater than 64 MB because it's set to 64 MB in the BIOS? I thought the whole point of a custom DSDT was to override BIOS settings.

The person who made the custom DSDT told me in email that I could change my framebuffer size outside the BIOS but that I'd need to edit a file that isn't the DSDT. How do I do that? Once I get this working, all I'll need is internet. I'm almost there!