Vostro 200 Cannot Install

pongc

Interesting - Using your suggestion of running "myfix -qt /." when in  safe mode, the system then boots up fine afterwards without needing any options, however once I shut down, subsequent boots get stuck with the same error mentioned above and requires booting up in safe mode again and re-running the command.

Some messages of interest while running the command:

- NOTICE: myFix can not regenerate system caches in safe boot mode...

- Error: You may only target / in safe boot mode.

This workaround seems to only work when running via safe mode/terminal. If I boot up using the USB and try to launch myfix / full fix it does not have the same effect.

Based on my experience so far my suspect is that it is either due to something special/different in my hardware configuration or I am not performing a step correctly as you stated. I find the corruption suspect to be less likely as the issue (getthg "considerRebuildofPrelinkedKernel) is consistent no matter which OS image, or how many times I restart from scratch by redownloading everything again. (unless it is due to the instability issue mentioned regarding generating install media using a vm)

I am going to try to  list down the exact steps that I am performing in hopes of one of them being pointed out as faulty/wrong. Appreciate for your continued patience.

Starting with Nvidia card

1. On my vm - deleted redownloaded myHack 3.3.1 in my download folder

2. Mounted Mavericks 10.9.2 ISO, which created an icon on my vm called "OSX Base system"

3. used my Sandisk cruzer 8gb and deleted/recreated 1 Mac OS extended (journaled) partition with GUID schema

4. Ran myhack, select "Create OSX Installer"

5. When prompt came up for OS Source, pointed it at the "Install OSX Mavericks" app under the "OSX Base system" mount on desktop

6. Got prompt to copy files, clicked yes to continue

7. Got prompt for MBR patch, selected "NO"

8. Got completed message

9. Deleted the "Extra" folder on the root of the new 10.9.2 installer

10. Copied the "Extra" folder extracted from post9 to the root of the 10.9.2 installer

11. Ejected USB, plugged into front USB port of vostro 200 (nearest to power button)

12. Powered on, press F12 to select boot option

13. Pressed spacebar, selected just -v

14. Installer came up.brought up disk utility and deleted/created 1 partition on local drive (Mac OS extended /journaled) with GUID schema.

15. after install complete, selected "use my own" for extra and pointed installer at the Extra folder at the root of the installer

16. Chose yes to remove all suggested kexts

17. got prompt to reboot

18. shutdown machine, removed USB installer

19. Bootup, pressed spacebar and entered -v again

20. After many messages, got stuck at "considerRebuildofPrelinkedKernel",  

Waiting for DSMOS....

VM Swap Subsystem is ON

flow_divert_kctl_disconnect  (0) : disconnecting group 1

NVDAStartup : Official

NVDAGF100HAL Loaded and registered

init

probe

start

[iOBLuetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

**** [iOBluetoothhHCIController][search ForTransportEventTimeoutHandler] -- Missing BLuetooth Controller Transport!

considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired

Resetting IOCatalogue

There is a really long pause (~5-10min) before the "consider.." message comes up.

I did try to connect a USB bluetooth receiver which made the bluetooth errors go away, though it did not help with the startup issue.

I do notice that when the system does boot up fine post the myfix workaround, the messages that appear immediately after the bluetooth ones are related to the nvidia card. I did try to switch the card with the Radeon but that did not help either.

• Administrators

Point 10 is where you go go wrong: you cannot just replace the existing /Extra by the /Extra folder of my pack. You have to run myHack and select "create Extra", then "my own" and point to my pack. In addition, doing this will render your stop 9 unecessary, the process will overwrite/replace any existing /Extra and even create a backup of it.

Unless you do that, the contents of the pack, more specifically the kexts, are never installed. Only by running the myHack/myFix tool can you ensure that the kexts placed in /Extra/Extensions are properly propagated to /System/Library/Extensions (in the form of PlugIns of myHack.kext) and the kext cache updated (a vanilla OS X installation only loads kexts from /S/L/E).

You also mention a Mavericks 10.9.2 "ISO"... Where is that coming from?

Thanks. When I install using this method:

- The system still get stuck post install and will not come up unless -x  is used

- After completing initial setup, I receive the following popup errors on the screen: (which I guess is good sign that it is trying to use them)

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/myhack.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/acpisensors.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/appleacpips2nub.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/applehdadisabler.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/appleps2controller.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/appleps2keyboard.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/appleps2mouse.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/appleps2trackpad.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/cpusensors.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/fakesmc.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/fakesmckeystore.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/gpusensors.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/Intel8266mm.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/lpcsensors.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/lspcidrv.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/patched_10.7_applertc.kext

System extension cannot be used  /system/library/extensions/content/plugins/voodoohda.kext

the reason indicated is that the kext was not installed properly.

If I reboot using the usb, and run install extra again and point at the post#9 bootpack, the system comes up fine (no options) ONCE. After that, its back in the old loop (boot with -x, run myfix -qt /.). if I try to re run install extra from usb it does not work.

• Administrators

It would seem there is a permissions issue; really weird, but then again, you're starting from a VM and they tend to be more trouble than good...

Boot in safe mode if you can (-x) or at worst in single-user mode (-s) and go so /System/Library. Then enter the following commands:

• sudo chmod -R 755 Extensions
  • sudo chown -R 0:0 Extensions

(single-use mode will probably not require use of "sudo").

Then reboot with -f boot flag. Once you reach desktop (and you hopefully will), run myFix (quick).

I think you've got it!

Before:

post-52979-0-04530800-1401399742_thumb.jpg

After

post-52979-0-09394800-1401399746_thumb.jpg

I rebooted once with -f and it came up fine. After that, I have rebooted 3 times and so far everytime it has come up without needing any flags..

the bad owner/group information is exactly the same as the one that is listed on the USB stick, so it looks like myhack is keeping the existing owner/group perms when it copied the extra folder.

I guess since I have this non-vm hackintosh I can build the installer from scratch on it and retry the process to test out the VM theory.