Dell Precision M4600 Install Newbie

bigapple

• Administrators

Mario said SSDT, not DSDT. That's if there is a SSDT of course...

This being said, I would suggest you try the pack I published for the EliteBook 8560w. As I said earlier, it's very close in terms of specs and that pack does not contain any DSDT, so no risk of HW mismatch. However, remove the SSDT from the pack if you try it out because that SSDT is specific to the i7-2630QM and won't be suitable for your i7-2720QM CPU, for which you'll have to look for an existing SSDT file or make up your own. There are tools to do that, look it up on the web.

Sorry I was confused by what he meant. My initial search didn't bring up a file by that name, but under the "services" document (private>etc>services) there are 2 lines as follows:

ssdtp      6070/udp      # SSDTP

ssdtp      6071/tcp       # SSDTP

Not sure if that's the same thing he's referring to? If not, what to do in the instance that there's no ssdt.aml? Thanks again!

• Administrators

No, no, no, that's totally different.

There is no SSDT.aml file in the boot pack you've used, so nothing you can do. You can't delete a non-existing file...

Try as suggested above with the HP's pack and report back afterwards. The pack has patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and tuned FakeSMC kext for MBP8,2. That should hopefully avoid those KPs you're getting about your CPU.

Replace the SSDT of the HP's pack by the attached SSDT for the i7 2720QM. This should give you full native speedstep + Turbo boost.

SSDT_i7-2720QM.aml.zip

THANK YOU so much! I was just googling ssdt files and wanted to clarify that my cpu is 2720M (not QM)...will the ssdt file you attached still work? If not I found some links on patching my own...either way, I'll use bootpack you listed above. Thanks!

• Administrators

You have an i7-2720QM, so you're safe to proceed (no such thing as a i7-2720M CPU). At worst, you'd be where you were before... You can start without the SSDT, then add it subsequently.

Ok so here's where I'm at so far:

1. Recreated my usb boot disk with myHack

2. Installed the bootpack that was created for the EliteBook 8560w

3. Replaced the default installed ssdt.aml file from the EliteBook pack with the ssdt_i7-2720QM.aml (should I be replacing it in original bootpack before installing?)

4. Booted Dell m4600 with myHack thumb drive and get following error. Sorry for the bad quality, I had to pull from video:

post-59655-0-47392400-1404695603_thumb.jpg

5. Removed ssdt.aml file and rebooted from the thumb drive, then got this error:

post-59655-0-29047000-1404695682_thumb.jpg

Not exactly sure what to do. Just wondering, should I have a completely erased hard drive before starting this or is it ok that it currently has my old Windows 7 installed w/partition, etc.? I thought it could be formatted/partitioned during install but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again!

Ok so I added the nullcpu kext to the extras folder and did a my fix (quick).

1. Rebooted to thumbdrive (with ssdt.aml for 2720QM) and got the same error above in the First Error.jpg image.

2. Rebooted to thumbdrive (removed ssdt.aml for 2720QM) and got the error below:

post-59655-0-90536200-1404701149_thumb.jpg

A few things worth noting:

- the screen goes completely black on most of these errors after it hangs.

- Whenever I've run myHack it never prompts me to add the extras folder. I always have to run myHack again and add extras then. I copied the original dmg file to the applications folder, installed it, and then run the myHack app from there.

• Administrators

AppleIntelCPUPowerManegment then needs to be removed from your Extra folder as it does not seem compatible with your version of osx. and  in the picture above it shows that you have Vt-d enabled in bios. unless you need it in windows for some reason turn it off as it causes issues. or add boot flag dart=0

Ok cool, thanks a lot! I'll give that a try when I get home from work.

So just to clarify...do I still keep the nullCPUPowerManagement kext in extras folder after I remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManegment? Also, should I continue to try and see if ssdt_i7-2720QM.aml will work, or do we know that it won't work for my processor at this point?

I know this may be getting ahead of ourselves at this point (and hoping I'm understanding this correctly), but I was curious if native power managemnent might still be possible for my processor or do I need to have a custom ssdt.aml file created for my particular system? Either way, I guess the first order of business is to just try the above and get it to load first! I'll check back after I do your suggestions.

Thanks again for your help!