D830 nVidia - Yosemite

ktazn2k

Refering to your D630n Yosemite thread:

Fresh install with Clover using one of the tutos available at IM.

So I followed this tutorial.

FYI I'm using D830 with Nvidia Quadro 140, running perfectly fine with 10.9.3.

But I cannot get Clover to boot into Yosemite installer on my USB drive. When trying to boot into it, I just get a black screen for a few seconds, then the laptop shuts itself off. When I tried verbose, safe and single user booting or literally any other boot option, I always get the error "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!" and then all things just stop.

Also, doing a standard Clover install resulted in Clover not booting and stuck at blinking cursor. I had to do manual install and select "Install boot0af in MBR" to get it actually boot. I don't know if there are other settings I need to check in Clover custom installer to get it working on Nvidia Dell D830 laptops?

I moved FakeSMC.kext already into EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10

Added argument kext-dev-mode=1 into config.plist.

Tried multiple versions of Yosemite DP.

Is there anything you suggest? Or perhaps you can post your entire steps to how you got it working on your D630, since I assume a D830 would be the same.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I disabled all DSDT fixes enabled by default in the config.plist and put the D630 DSDT in EFI/CLOVER/APCI/patched. I also placed all bootpack or /E/E kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and, consequently, booted with option "kext-dev-mode=1".

I think that's about it. Check what you have by default for graphics injection. I think I had ATI to false, Intel to true and nVidia to false when I 1st booted the Yosemite installer key.

Thanks for the insight.

I finally was able to get Clover working and 10.10 installed on my external drive after staying up all night trying to research and fix things. In the end I still gave up on Clover because no matter what I did, 10.10 kept freezing upon boot.

I noticed a new version of Chameleon was released and is now working with 10.10. I ended up reformatting and reinstalling 10.10 with just Chameleon exclusively. Now 10.10 works fine on my D830.

Here is the new version of Chameleon made for Yosemite: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/262-chameleon-r2377-os-x-1010/

Hopefully this means myHack will be updated soon for Yosemite support.

Few observations:

* Graphics are pretty choppy and slow compared to Mavericks, especially scrolling in Safari. This happens even after doing FakeSMC tuning. I'm not sure if this will be fixed by the gold master. If not, I might just stick to Mavericks on the D830 or upgrade to a real Mac laptop when it comes out.

* VoodooBattery isn't working at all in Yosemite.

* Occasional beach ball lag, more so than Mavericks.

Other than that, everything seems to be smooth sailing. I actually like the new interface, which is way more cleaner than any other OS X version. I even like the dock better. They also added a new preview pane for finder, which is really awesome.

• Administrators

VoodooBattery working Ok on my D630 Yosemite installation.

VoodooBattery_10.10.jpg

I'm using this version (in case there are several):

VoodooBattery.kext.zip

The only kexts I use are:

• AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
  • AppleHDADisabler.kext
  • ApplePS2Controller.kext
  • BCM5722D.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext
  • VoodooBattery.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext

and more specifically, but not essentials:

• lspcidrv.kext
  • CSRBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext

Well, don't know if VoodooBattery works as System Preferences instantly uncheck the "show battery state box" as soon as I click it :roll:

Are you using myHack.kext with Yosemite ?

What's the purpose of lspcidrv.kext & CSRBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext ?

So I had a chance to clone my working Yosemite installation from USB HD to internal HD and I must say the speed increase is signifcant upon doing so. Yosemite is no longer laggy and graphics are about as smooth as Mavericks. The only graphics lag is using stacks. Shamefully, I cannot use it as main OS as a lot of software aren't working properly with it and alias functionality seems broken. I'm really looking forward to future DP and GM so I can switch it to my main OS pernametly. :)

BTW, I got battery indicator working on my D830 with Yosemite using ACPIBatteryManager by RehabMan: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-acpi-battery-driver/downloads

VoodooBattery doesn't work.

I also have the exact same kext list as Herve, minus VoodooBattery. I had to install most of my extensions in S/L/E instead of Extras with Kext Wizard, then run full maintenance with it to get them all working.

• Administrators

Are you using myHack.kext with Yosemite ?

What's the purpose of lspcidrv.kext & CSRBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext ?

I don't use myHack, no, it's a Clover-based temporary installation. In fact, I boot Clover off the USB installer key then select the Yosemite partition that I created on my SSD that has existing Chameleon ML + Mavericks partitions (I did not want to break those Chameleon installations). As such, my kexts reside on the USB key, in the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 folder, not in the /S/L/E folder of the actual Yosemite partition. In that respect, the 10.10 installation on the SSD is 100% vanilla.

The  purpose of lspcidrv kext is to support the lspci Terminal command (to list PCI devices) and the Bluetooth kext is just a patch of the vanilla kext that includes PCI details of the Dell DW350/DW360 BT devices; it allows to turn Bluetooth On and Off through the Finder's bar BT icon.

hello ^_^ really nice to hear yosemite runs on the dell d830 :))))))))) 

would you be kind enough to tell me how you did it im very good with comps so the info i need is how to make a bootable usb installer with the right kexts 

my dell d830 is a t9500 cpu ,gpu is nvidia 140m ..any help would be appreciated :)))))))))))))))