CUDA on Yosemite

tweakbsd

Hello guys,

I upgraded my D630 to yosemite a while ago. But today I recognised that CUDA is not working anymore. I had 

CUDA 6.5.18 installed and thought it was all good, but today as I wanted to encode a Video using Toast 12 there was no Device available for acceleration. So I upgraded to CUDA 6.5.25 and still the same. CUDA-Z is also not working.

The Kext is definitely loaded as kextstat shows. Nvidia Driver is OEM, not tested the Web driver.

Anyone experienced the same maybe ? Please help me get my CUDA working again, I'm a little bit lost since I tried most versions already. Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Yosemite native/vanilla nVidia drivers work OOB for the integrated NVS 135M. There's no need for the CUDA driver as far as I know, in fact I do not even think that the CUDA driver supports the GeForce 8400M chip on which the NVS 135M is based. If you look at all the past CUDA drivers that listed specific supported chips, you'll see that from v3.1 of July 2010 to v5.0.45 of March 2013, the only supported chips of the 8M Series were 8800M and 8600M. GeForce 8400M was never listed as a CUDA-supported model.

And why was I able to use CUDA with Toast with the previous Mac OS X version for converting videos ? The NVS 135M was definitely supported. But you're I remember that I had to manually install the Mountain Lion Kext which was a CUDA 4.X version and they dropped support with 5. So it seems I am out of luck getting this feature back. :-( It would be great if someone with a working Mountain Lion on D630 could please try some CUDA 4.X version for me and report back.