Need Acer Advice

Megatron

I'm looking to buy a new laptop and not spending the stratospheric Mac prices for simply the Apple name with inferior performance hardware. I'm reading more and more about Hackintoshes, I've never done one before, but enthused to make this work for my ideal laptop keeper and never change nor upgrade. I'm looking at 2 models, I prefer Acer, prices vary greatly, by double when comparing these two, but budget is not the concern, compatibily is;

http://www.target.com/p/acer-15-slim-laptop-pc-e5-511p-p1qh-with-1tb-hard-drive-4gb-memory-black/-/A-15706129#prodSlot=_1_3

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MQJAA.002

I want to install the last version or OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and will not be upgrading to a higher OS X ever. I have gone through too many upgrades and downgrades to finally learn that "if it ain't broke, then don't try and fix it" I see many chats about Mavericks and Yosemite installations and running, but not much on Snow Leopard. My 2nd choice would be a Mountain Lion installation and I'm using this now, but don't like it as much. I really want to get back to 10.6.8. Any suggestions?

• Administrators

You're highly likely to meet issues with your 1st choice due to CPU and graphics model. 2nd choice is far better as the underlying hardware is more likely to be compatible with OS X.

Snow Leopard will not support Haswell platforms though, it only goes up to Sandy Bridge (possibly Ivy Bridge) generation and with 10.6.8. It's just too old now (it does kind of look a little dated today) and Apple dropped all support a year ago. Mavericks or Yosemite is your best choice.

well, the non-use of Snow Leopard could be a big deal-breaker for me though. I used Mavericks for a short while and found it to be very very buggy. The software would just do things on its own by randomly acting out it's own made-up prompts without any input from me, and I'm just watching it saying..."wtfaaa..."

I do not like the simplified look of Yosemite and the whole iOS direction for desktop/laptop users. Infact I prefer the older traditional look of the high-def glossy 3-D look of things in OSX's up to 10.8. I still consider Mountain Lion 2nd best to Snow Leopard (as many OSX users do) and use 10.8.5 now and would install that as a last resort if I couldn't find another laptop that will take the 10.6.8. But will Mountain Lion work for any of these 2 laptop choices if I decide to go that route?

• Administrators

Haswell platforms are supported from ML 10.8.4, not before. OS X kernel usually must be patched to run on Haswell-based laptops.

If you wish to stick to SL, you simply need an older laptop (from CoreSolo/Duo/2Duo to Sandy/Ivy Bridge).

Haswell platforms are supported from ML 10.8.4, not before.

ok, this is good to know, I could live with ML in the V Nitro as forced to.

A quick question which is off laptop talk but more op; with ML...is there anyway to get the titles of files and folders in your finder folders window to display double lines like it does in Leopard/Snow Leopard instead of them being truncated, without having to increase the Finder window width, or in any other list view?

I only use the icon view really so this is important. For instance, if I want to label a file or folder; Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited in ML and/or above this file title will look like Williams...ted.jpeg which makes it difficult to decipher files in icon view as opposed to the old 10.5/10.6 way of

Williams Grand Prix

Engineering Limited

OS X kernel usually must be patched to run on Haswell-based laptops.

Is this hard to do for ML?