Dell Latitude E5520 - installing Mavericks - graphics problems

j00z3k

Thank you for the tip @Herve, about DSDT patch for card reader. I tried to manage it, but I failed for now. I have to look more closely on this and try again.

But, what's more important for me now, are network and power saving problems - when I create installer with Extra from @Jake Lo (#5), there's no Wi-Fi right after booting into installer, and no network at all after complete install. Just to note, installer ends with "Installation failed" after long pause just before finish (when there's a "1 minute/less than minute remaining"), and after reboot, it continues to configure (creating account, registering etc.). But there's no network and power saving.

Do you have an idea, what else to check?

• Moderators

DSDT patching for E5520 doesn't seem to work for this model. See here, tried by another member.

Just looked through the bootpack again, don't see any issue. All necessary kexts are there. Your Wireless DW1510 should work OOB. Broadcom ethernet should be available too in the bootpack. Try running myHack/myfix again or myHack/Install Extra and point to the /Extra folder.

Again, back after some time :)

Thanks for the tip @Jake Lo, but unfortunately neither myFix nor installing Extra again didn't help. It looks that the problem is even before installing OS X - there's no Wi-Fi in installer. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong when I'm preparing USB stick...

But now I wonder if making Clover boot could fix that? That led me to the next question - will kexts from Chameleon bootpack work with Clover? Is it even possible to make Clover boot with this laptop?

• Moderators

You could start with this guide. You may use the same kexts, but some are no longer needed due to the Clover on the fly patching. You can keep the SSDT/DSDT. Probably all you need are

FakeSMC

VoodooPS2Controller

AppleHDA

BCM5722D/AppleIntelE1000e

ACPIBatteryManager

Thanks @Jake Lo for the guide. I managed to install Mavericks, by following it - of course changing all Yosemite references to Mavericks ones. I also kept DSDT & SSDT from Chameleon bootpack - copied them to /Clover/ACPI/patched in E6420Yosemite Colver bootpack from the guide, before install.

This are the results of installing it with all kexts from Chameleon bootpack:
- no sound,
- ethernet: seen after a few restarts (probably after installing BCM5722D),
- no battery percentage (battery empty showed after adding ACPIBatteryManager kext),
- no sleep (probably because of VoodooSDXC or, what I found later, because of the fact that I didn't copy Clover folder from bootpack to /EFI/EFI/Clover),
I have not tested the rest.

After installing Mavericks with the kexts you mentioned, results were as follows:

- no sound - works after installing VoodooHDA kext, but without volume level control - tried to install AppleHDA from here, but without success,

- battery empty,
- no ethernet (appeared after installing BCM5722D),
- no sleep (cannot wake) - sleep works after installing Clover on HDD and copying bootpack's stuff to /EFI/EFI/Clover,
- graphics artifacts and glitches (disappeared after installing Clover on HDD and copying stuff to EFI).

Not tested the rest as well.

I assume that there are some issues, because the bootpack is for Yosemite (but it contains 10.9 kexts as well) and for other laptop model - maybe there are some other settings in config.plist?

And, as said in guide, there is no known kext for battery percentage - but it worked in Chameleon - can it be the Clover "issue"?

It seems to make no difference, or I'm doing something wrong. Guide from the thread is a little chaotic.

When I try to boot with provided bootpack, it's stuck on the Apple logo for ever. But when I change config.plist to the one for E6420, it does boot altough the resolution is wrong - I can't see anything but gray lines.

This bootpack messed a little in my head - I don't know why all stuff is in OEM folder.

I also tried to change DSDT to the one from my Chameleon bootpack, but it failed with graphics artifacts.

EDIT:

I gave up configuring it with Clover, it seems that my laptop is better supported by Chameleon.

I installed Mavericks with provided bootpack again, but this time, I removed IONetworkingFamily.kext and put BCM5722D.kext instead - network is operating alright (sometimes it says that the Ethernet cable is disconnected, even when it actually is, and the MAC address of card is 00:00... - not sure if it can be the issue of BCM kext, or lack of some plugins from IONF?), I can enter Network and Power Management prefpanes. I got suspicious about the IONF kext after installing Clover with Chameleon bootpack - it broke network as well, that's why I came back to Chameleon. It shows battery percentage, sound works with volume adjustment - so I'm happy with it.

I also modified IOBluetoothFamily.kext by adding device with my Vendor and Product IDs to BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext plugin's Info.plist, to allow switching off Bluetooth, as mentioned here and here (sorry if it's forbidden to link other sites).

Here is my modified IOBluetoothFamily.kext (you can see there is a device added called "Dell DW375 Bluetooth Module" with 16700:33159):
IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip

The last thing (for now) that bothers me is SpeedStep and Turbo Boost (especially the second one) - it looks that Turbo Boost works, but it reaches only 2,97 GHz with x30 multiplier, when it should reach 3,2 GHz with x32 multiplier. If I do remember correctly, it showed when it was running Clover (I check it with HWMonitor 6.0.1042 - it doesn't work after updating, but I don't think it might be the issue).

I tried to generate SSDT with ssdtPRGen.sh script by PikerAlpha, but it didn't make difference. Anyway, the SSDT from bootpack seems to have correct maximum frequency set - I checked it with:

ioreg -lw0 | grep PerformanceStateArray

running in Terminal, and it returned "800C", which means 3 200 MHz.

I use CPUTest to stress the CPU, but maybe it is not sufficient to reach maximum state?

Do you have any ideas what else I can check?

EDIT 2:

Checked SpeedStep by loading MSRDumper.kext; it looks like the 32 P-state has been reached:

28.09.2015 14:20:08,000	kernel[0]	MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 12 16 21 25 30 32

But there is only 1 occurrence of actual multiplier:

28.09.2015 14:20:08,000	kernel[0]	MSRDumper CoreMulti(32)

while there are 718 occurrences of CoreMulti(30) and hundreds of others. It looks that the maximum frequency is very rarely used - still don't know if it's because I use "too weak" stress tester? Or maybe there's something with smbios.plist?

Edited by j00z3k

When I boot with Clover, I see in HWMonitor 6.16.1372 that CPU reaches x32 multiplier and 3,17 GHz (on one core, because it shows multiplier and speed by core on Clover) - even though in MSRDumper there was only one occurence of CoreMulti(32) after running CPUTest for about 10 minutes.

Tried to install HWMonitor with FakeSMC on Chameleon boot, but it only shows CPU frequency and multiplier for whole package (I guess), and it still doesn't reach x32 multiplier.