[Solved] OSXL threatened - Help us choose

Leon

Help us choose...  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What should we choose ?

• I have just donated to [email protected] - Now go buy the Copyright Removal option
    • Just add the damn copyright and be done with it
    • WTF?, Change the forum software - even if it means downtime
    • Whatever, let them close down OSXL

Having just read through the email exchange, this Lindy character is without a doubt the RUDEST & most thoughtless management person I have ever come across.

Given the horrible and rude treatment from Lindy, I lean toward not giving them any more business.

If the software is perceived as far superior to other software of the same kind and people desperately want to keep using it, that could create an environment in which they (Lindy's company) can abuse customers and still remain in business.

Porting prior users and content over to another setup is always doable, although these company's may have utilized ways of making it tougher (requiring more work).

I suggest

1. Find and select a potential replacement system from another source.

2. Look for export/import scripts designed to facilitate going from the current system to the new system.

3. If none exist, consider repeating step #1 again, or else look into the difficulty of creating such a script (could be worth money to sell others in need of same).

Just my .02 - I'd switch to vBulletin or something like that. They've got plenty of great plugins and such, and its a one time fee! No monthly bullshit.

As for this forum, I'd leave it up just to piss them off. You paid for a license you have the right to use it - they won't do anything about it.

As for a new forum, change it to osxlatitude.com/forums/ and swap everything over there. In the meantime keep this here for data and whatnot till the accounts and such can get swapped over.

Leon,  

You SHOULD NOT give a damn about American laws unless you were planning to conduct business here.  Unfortunately, we Americans - in general - have taken arrogance to extreme levels.

Whatever the outcome, I applaud you for how you are handling it.

First of all we have to find a forum platform where we can import stuff.. that would be step 1 - i think it would suck big time if we had to kill everything.

Make backups already and pick something phpbb sized or if you want shareware, XenForo is the one to go with. It must be possible to migrate to phpbb from IPB.

Anyhow, it should be possible to write a migration script. Do set up a simple temporary forum and do things like theming over git so people who want to can help. I see scattered replies with "contact me for help", mostly these will be unreliable and/or paid services even with good intent. We do want to help as a community, i'm mostly a lurker around here but will help where possible.

Good luck in making a final decision, we'll see.

I've just donated to help you out. Whether you purchase the Copyright Removal option or upgrade to another software (Any other software would be an upgrade, IMO), the donation is yours to keep. Being an American myself and a software developer, there is no excuse for this behavior. I hope you can find better BBS software with a smooth migration process.

While I've been mostly a lurker, I've found plenty of valuable information on your site. Thank you.

Las_Vegas

but seriously why do you pay a software and you still need to advertise them? and you are not just paying 10 DOollars or so, but 175$ right now just for a forum...

( source https:// www.invisionpower. com/buy/self-hosted )

Never really cared for IPB.  The 68kMLA forums switched to it from phpBB.  Site became a bit of a mess.  I'd look into something like fluxBB or maybe even vBulletin.

Only issue with fluxBB is that it doesn't have a private message feature, nor the ability to host attached images.  Supposedly that's being fixed with the next version.  The ThinkClassic forums use the current version of fluxBB.  www.thinkclassic.org is their link.

-J