E6410 cpu kernel panic on install

gman2207

• Administrators

Guys, please post your system's specs. KP due to AICPUPM (AppelIntelCPUPowerManagement) only affect SandyBridge and IvyBridge CPUs, not the C2D/C2Q or Arrandale CPUs as far as I remember.

This being said, if you need Yosemite's patched AICPUPM kexts, copies are available in the Software Matters->Mac OS X forum subsection.

I'll have a look later on when I'm home, I know it's an i5 but not actually sure which type.

EDIT: after a quick search my i5-560m is an Arrandale core

Another thought I had last night... Do you think it would be easier to install Mavericks?

• Administrators

Well, one might say that Mavericks would mean you could use myHack and that it would therefore be easier, but I don't think it'll change anything if you have the wrong settings or wrong bootpack.

Remember that you will only ever get partial graphics acceleration on that system (Intel HD of the E6410 is not fully supported due to display connector; see here for details), so you may actually prefer not to install OS X on it as It'll never be a particularly great experience.

That had also ran through my mind, it's never going to be used for anything that is resource hungry graphics wise, only web browsing, iTunes and office jobs. Does the lack of acceleration affect the day to day running, like the fade in of Launch Pad or the maximise and minimise of windows etc? I may not bother if that is the case, i'll leave the OS X to my Macbook Pro :)

• Administrators

I would not want to speak out for people who experimented or use the E6410 Intel HD with partial acceleration but, having tried it myself, I can tell you that any system running without graphics acceleration is just painful. To me, there is really no point in running OS X in limping mode where anything a little graphical like moving or minimising a window is effectively laggy.

That'll do for me, thanks very much for the advice it's saved me more messing about just to be disappointed. I think i'll install Windows 10 on it and save the messing about.

Next time i'll plan better and buy supported hardware.