Install Yosemite on E6540

Stolidedog

Hi Herve,

Its pretty close.  It seems QE/CI work, but it flickers a lot at boot up and after I log in.  After that it seems fine and this isn't a problem for me.  I haven't had time to examine much more beyond that.

Audio seems to be working  after I did the post above.

I don't know if the ApplePS2Controller is an issue or not, but integrated keyboard and ALPS trackpad seem to work.  I haven't tested trackpad much beyond just moving the mouse pointer around.  I normally use an external mouse anyway.

I installed Chameleon-Enoch r2760.  Booting if very flakey.  I have to mess around with -v, -f, UseKernelCache=No and their is never a consistent combintion to get it to boot up.  I just have to keep trying.  If I boot with no flags, it just hangs at the Apple Log.  It isn't a "waiting for root device error though", just hangs.  Sorry I don't have more information here, I'll try to provide some better details later.  I'm at work and I've messed with this too much today already. :)  FYI, booting was flakey with chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) v4.1.0 too, so I doubt it is related to Enoch.

The NTP (time reset problem) may be related to the fact that I have Yosemite 10.10.4 installed on an external USB hard drive and my internal drive is Windows 7, and I have to jump between Windows and Yosemite.  I've seen some posts about this possibly causing problems, so I'm not worried about it right now.  I'll try to figure that out on my own.

I plan on committing Yosemite to my internal HDD once I feel confident that this will work pretty solid and getting rid of Windows entirely.  So if you think any of my issues are related to using an external HDD, let me know.

Again, I'll try to get more info on the boot problems.  It will do one of three things, start fine, dead lock or kernel panic.  The KP is "a freed zone element has  been modified...".  Usually this require messing with GraphicsEnabler and IGPEnabler flags (from what I've read), but I don't have those set in Boot.plist and I haven't been messing with them on the boot options.

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. Do you want my Extra folder?  It is what I downloaded from you, less AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext which I removed from there.

Bob

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jake Lo, I'll try the -no-zp option. 

As far the dual booting goes, doesn't that only apply if you have both OS's installed on the same physical drive?  That isn't the case for me.  I have Windows on the internal HDD and Yosemite and the boot loader (Enoch) on the external HDD.

Bob

P.S. What does -no-zp do?  I have never seen it documented anywhere.  Just curious.

• Administrators

Leon had explained the clock issue when dual booting in his forum blog section. The fix consists of adding a registry key in Windows. It does work, I do this all the time on my dual-boot Hackintoshes.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7667-fix-incorrect-clock-settings-in-windows-when-dual-booting-with-os-x-or-linux/

Regarding the "flaky" boot, make sure to rebuild your kext cache once you've booted up as your add-on kexts need to be taken into account, especially FakeSMC. This is done through Terminal using the usual commands:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

With Chameleon/Enoch, some kexts can be loaded from /E/E but not all (like AppleHDA for instance). As such, if FakeSMC is kept in /E/E, it may not be included in the cache, hence why you would need to boot without cache to avoid system sticking on Apple logo at startup. This is typical of FakeSMC not loaded. To circumvent that issue, place FakeSMC in /S/L/E.

Thanks Herve,

Putting FakeSMC in /S/L/E did indeed fix the problem with UseKernelCache.  I lost full graphics though and I had to put the FakePCIID*.kext in /S/L/E as well.  The thing is I don't think I've have full graphics.  If I go into dashboard, it is super sluggish and slow to paint.  If I remove the FakePCIID kexts, then dashboard paints much better.  The problem is, the menu bar is very grainy without the FakePCIID kexts loaded.  The Apple logo at the top left is pink (just for example). In other words, I have different graphics problem either way.

Also with the DSDT you sent me, the system report shows my display as Intel HD Graphics 5000.  I used my DSDT and it shows correctly as 4600.

One more thing, without the FakePCIID kexts, I don't have the screen flicker I mentioned earlier.  With them, it flickers quite badly at boot up and login. 

bob

I reverted to Herve's DSDT and then reverted the AppleIntelFrameBufferAzul.kext, AppleIntelHD5000.kext and IOGraphicsFamily.kext to original and DVD player says everything is supported and Dashboard seems fine.  I don't get why the Apple logo and the rest of the menu bar on the top right aren't painting will, very dull and grainy, but I can live with that.

I think I'm good here.  Going to slap on a workable WIFI card and install it on a SSD card when I get it in a couple of days.

Thanks Herve and Jake Lo for all your help!!!

• Moderators

Run the following perl patches from terminal to fix your various issues, make sure to make a backup first before running. FYI, these all could be done with Clover on-the-fly patching but with Chameleon, you'll have to do this on every update.

# Enable HDMI Video/Audio

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x01\x05\x09\x00\x00\x04\x00\x00\x87\x00\x00\x00|\x01\x05\x12\x00\x00\x08\x00\x00\x87\x00\x00\x00|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul

# Fix artifacts in Menu Bar
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x60\x00\x00\x00\x00\x60\xD9|\x90\x00\x00\x00\x00\x60\xD9|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul

# Boot Graphics Glitch Fix
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x41\x88\xC4\xEB\x11|\x41\x88\xC4\xEB\x31|g' /System/Library/Extensions/IOGraphicsFamily.kext/IOGraphicsFamily