Looking for help to install El Capitan on Dell E6230

dbanga

Just wanted to thank everyone, especially Jake Lo for the detailed guide.

Can't thank you enough. I picked up my E6230 over the weekend and was up and running with El Capitan within a few hours of trial and error.

Everything would have gone a lot smoother if only I had followed every instruction.

I should have read twice and implemented once ;)

Few areas I had issues with, due to my lack of following clear instructions:

29. Download the Bootpack for your model in post #2, rename it as EFI to the root of the “EFI†partition, replacing the existing folder ( not merge)

Instruction:

1. Download the Generic EFI_Clover folder.
  2. Download model below and add it into the Generic /EFI_Clover/Clover <-- folder
  3. Rename EFI_Clover to EFI

​What I totally missed here was to download the Generic EFI and then add the specific parts for my particular model.

I went straight ahead and only used the EFI parts from my particular model and totally missed the generic part.

This gave me the 'invalid partition table' error message which a few have also mentioned.

7. Copy kexts from /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/LE to /Library/Extensions of Macintosh SSD

I got errors when trying to add the extensions as other people have also mentioned but so far as I can tell everything appears ok.

8. Repair permission and rebuild cache. Run command from terminal

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
      sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /L*/E*
      sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
      sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
      sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

I also had various error messages running the above.
I kept running the commands and I think they eventually all ran successfully.... I think.

10. Generate own SMBios and SSDT 
  • Launch ssdtPRGen.sh

This wasn't immediately clear but soon figured that I think you need to run ssdtPRGen.sh via Terminal

Thanks again Jake Lo.

I'm not really familiar of use to OSX and this clear step by step guide really helped me.

Without it I wouldn't have been able to get El Capitan running at all.

RAMiAM

Just purchased 16gb RAM and an SSD and the little E6230 flies along quite nicely.

Noticed two issues that i'm wondering if anyone had any ideas on.

WI FI Card

I replaced the wifi card with a dell 1510.

Card works well but a little temperamental in connecting to the home wifi.

Ran the diagnostics and it stated that the 1510 card was set to country USA but my bband router was set to GB which is correct (live in the UK).

A few more googles and I think if the card and router are set to different countries then they don't communicate/hand shake so well.

Oh and something unrelated but that intrigued me... the original wifi card had three antenna wires, white, black and grey. Don't think I've seen the use of a grey antenna wire before.

Graphics

Have noticed that screen redraw/processing, especially when using safari/chrome, isn't the smoothest, as if it's struggling to processes web pages, etc.

I'm not even talking about complicated pages with video etc. Just standard news pages such as bbc.co.uk.

I've used lower spec machines with the Intel HD4000 and they performed much better.

Any help or advice appreciated.

RAM.

• Administrators

Re: Wifi

Check the channel capabilities of your card then compare with the channel(s) used by your box/router. You may also want to firmly set your connection to 2.4GHz or 5GHz, depending on wireless hardware capability. From personal experience, I've learnt that, unless I used different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz network and the 5GHz network, the card often got confused and could behave sporadically temperamental. Since using a different SSID on the 5GHz network, the card has behaved perfectly and up to the expected performance.

Re: Graphics

Are you sure you have full graphics acceleration? You probably don't have a CD/DVD drive so you can't run DVDPlayer to check out its supported features but you can check the SysProfiler. The graphics animation you've mentioned should definitely be smooth.