R9 390X slow 3D performance i5 4690k

Raboebie

Hi guys I have tried OSX 10.9 with netkas drivers, 10.10.1-10.10.5 and 10.11. In all of the cases I get my 390x 8bg detected correctly and QE/CI is enabled. But if I run any 3D intensive applications such as GPU test I get very low frame rates. I get 25fps while running furmark x64. In windows or on my old 290x I was getting 150+ fps on the exact same OS and exact same test. I also get some strange output in console. Something about the UI was prevented from updating for x amount of seconds, or something along that line. 

Could it be that my CPU is not clocking correctly (I have NullCPUPowermanagement installed) or do I have to edit performance levels of the GPU in some way? 

Any help help would be greatly appreciatedskype_emoticon-0142-happy.gif

• Administrators

it sounds like it can be nullcpu or you need to adjust video pm so you should pursue that further seems your on the right track. this example is for nvidia not ati but maybe it can give you some ideas https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7807-nvidia-gpu-performance-tuning-with-agpm/as for null cpu you might need to generate a cpu ssdt or binary patch kexts but that depends on bootloader. clover has the patches embedded compared to chameleon which does not.

Hmmm okay. I will give this a whirl. The first thing I will try is to remove NullCPUPM.kext and check again. I will also remove disabler.kext if its present. As far as I know Haswell CPU's have native power management. Maybe I dont even need NullCPU. I have a 4690K running os x 10.10.1 with a patched haswell kernel.

• Administrators

Like most Intel CPUs since Sandy Bridge, power management is not entirely natively obtained, it requires the generation of a CPU-specific SSDT. Improved power management and boost mode management can then be enjoyed.

You don't need NullCPUPM with a Haswell CPU, just the kernel patch.

Your poor 3D performance will be due to lack of suitable GPU power management.

So you got your 390x to work with 10.10 and 10.11?? I'm about to build a computer, and i would one day like to do the hackintosh. But for now i'll just use it for gaming. I really want the 390x as it's good value for money GPU, but i read that it doesent work with hackintosh...