E7450 ElCapitan - fix and finetune

rschultz101

On the topic of Karabiner... I wanted a better match for the symbols on the keyboard for brightness and volume keys. Therefore I changed the lines in private.xml to 

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<root>
  <list>
    <item>
      <name>Remap Brightness Keys</name>
      <appendix>Darker, Brighter</appendix>
      <identifier>remap.brightnesskeys</identifier>
      <autogen>--KeyToConsumer-- KeyCode::F11, ConsumerKeyCode::BRIGHTNESS_DOWN</autogen>
        <autogen>--KeyToConsumer-- KeyCode::F12, ConsumerKeyCode::BRIGHTNESS_UP</autogen>    
    </item>
  </list>
  <list>
    <item>
      <name>Remaps Volume Keys</name>
      <appendix>Mute, Up, Down</appendix>
      <identifier>remap.volumekeys</identifier>
      <autogen>--KeyToConsumer-- KeyCode::F1, ConsumerKeyCode::VOLUME_MUTE</autogen>
      <autogen>--KeyToConsumer-- KeyCode::F2, ConsumerKeyCode::VOLUME_DOWN</autogen>
      <autogen>--KeyToConsumer-- KeyCode::F3, ConsumerKeyCode::VOLUME_UP</autogen>
    </item>
   </list>       
</root>

• Moderators

F1, F2, and F3 for volume control does not work, still have to use Fn+F1, Fn+F2, and Fn+F3 which are working without the Remapping. 

I had already experimented with F11 and F12 for brightness but I lose the F11 for toggling windows, so I decide to just use F6 and Fn+F6 for brightness. 

update -  ethernet slow

as always thanks,

with dsdt.aml and ssdt 0,7,10    in patched directory ,  so  those are  un-modified , just an extract with clover , 

and I only need those,  it extracts a bunch 

that means I could use my unmodified dsdt and use A10 bios , have to try

for touchpad, 2-finger on the pad  don't do  scrolling,  got to hold the middle button, then scrollng works, it's usable

ordered an FHD ips screen,  let's see if that works

--  gigabit is painfully slow at times,  good times is 700mb / minute  , sometimes crawling,  disabled wifi 

when sneaker-net is faster, something is wrong

note:   ->  update your serial in config.plist  

still need to find my docking station and test it. 

-  and test  dual screen,  1x HDMI  2560x1440  1x miniDP 2560x1440 / 3840x2160

- laptop fan is not running,  need to test, that is comes on and works 

damn, the volume works for me. 

curiously, it did not work at first for me. in text edit, for it to work, i copied 

<item>

<name>Remap Brightness Keys</name>
      <appendix>Darker, Brighter</appendix>
      <identifier>remap.brightnesskeys</identifier>
      <autogen>--KeyToConsumer-- KeyCode::F11, ConsumerKeyCode::BRIGHTNESS_DOWN</autogen>
        <autogen>--KeyToConsumer-- KeyCode::F12, ConsumerKeyCode::BRIGHTNESS_UP</autogen>    
    </item>

within the xml, and retyped the volume consumer key codes, and then it ended up working. not sure why it worked, but it worked... it might have to do with the hyphens/dashes, but i still dunno, it was just a trial and error that ended up working. 

although i lost expose on f11, i mapped the middle button for it through the stock keyboard shortcut settings, and kept the karabiner stick scroll - that is just my personal preference.  

• Moderators

@rshultz101

Not sure why you can't scroll with 2 fingers, it works OOTB even without Karabiner. I'm only using Karabiner to remap the brightness controls.

You can't use unpatched DSDT/SSDT from A10 as there's no benefits than not using any DSDT/SSDT at all. You need them patched to make any significant performance to your system.

Ethernet issue, try AppleIntelE1000 instead if IntelMausiEthernet is not working well for you.

@cptscruffy2

So are you saying that F1, F2, and F3 works for your volume control and not Fn+F1..etc. etc.

• Moderators

Thanks cptscruffy2.

I figured it out. I need to enable both

Remaps Brightness Keys

Remaps Volume Keys

Now both Fn+F1, Fn+F2, Fn+F3, F1, F2, and F3 works with volume control

Brightness controls with F11 and F12, and F6 dims

10.11.4  update , second boot , got up, 

-> no sound , everything else same

went beck to 10.11.3 

- my gigabit problem , might be old the airport extreme, ipv6 ,  have to try the AppleIntelE1000,  1000T full duplex, MTU 1500

- what kext files are for the touchpad ,  need to chase this one. 

other ideas,  to put a backup boot  on the SDXC card, thing a UHS-II 64GB for speed, should even fit 2 different boot, or use it for backup.

- battery, initially said like 10hr, now after using it, it report 5hr+, seams to be more accurate now.

- they make different batteries, any recommendations   think I got the 34whr 

Apple Logo -> About This Mac -> System Report... ->  Software>Extensions

There is a column that indicates whether or not a kext is loaded. 

On my 4 cell 54 Watt hour battery @ ~50% display brightness, I average 5.5-10.5 hrs. 

My activities on battery usually involve 

- Microsoft Word

- One Note

- Safari & Firefox

- mysms text messaging 

- Whatswin for Whatsapp

- e-mail (Mail)

- Kodi & youtube 

- VMWare for CentOS

- bluetooth is always on

- backlit keyboard usually off during the day time 

- volume on when necessary; using Boom 2 to improve sound quality, since it's the closest thing I can find to the sound enhancement suite that comes on Dell's Windows side of things

• Like 1

tried  10.11.4 again, rebuilt caches via script 

- no sound , wifi works

here is the log

#kext built for E7450 in 10.11.4

/Volumes/ssd500-360-3/Z_El_Capitan/Tools/permission.sh 

rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelMausiEthernet.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelBacklight.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext EAPDFix.kext

kext file:///Library/Extensions/DisableTurboBoostBattery.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ApplePS2Mouse.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ApplePS2Controller.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleHDA_ALC293.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIPoller.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIBatteryManager.kext

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleHDA]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleHDA]: IOPCIDevice::metaClass

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleHDA]: IOACPIPlatformDevice::metaClass

Link failed (error code 5).

Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleHDA; omitting from prelinked kernel.

kextcache updated critical boot files, requesting launchd reboot

Finished