D630 fan changed, now crashing after 15 minutes of use

hacaira

Hello,

I have changed the fan of my D630. Everything went fine but now when I start the machine, it is booting alright but doing a hard shutdown after approximately 15 minutes of use if I start the system (Maverick) and 5 minutes if I just enter the bios. I used K5-PRO thermo pasta on the cpu and on one bridge (south one I think), and after checking again I could see that the pasta is well spread around the cpu but not so well around south bridge. I have followed the right procedure to fix the heat sink (1-2-3-4). Still it is crashing.

Might it be related to the fact that I replaced the pad on the south bridge with thermo pasta? If yes, could someone tell me which pad should I buy to replaced it?

Thanks

Thank U for the information.
I was not sure about a relation between lack of pad and shutdowns because the fan should normaly speen very fast before it shutdowns (it is not the case, I wonder why?).

I don't have the pad anymore, it felt into pieces, dust, during removal of the heatsink. I have to buy a new one (is a copper shim a better solution?) and I would like to have the dimension of this pad, or a reference, if possible.

• Administrators

Are you sure you properly connected the power cable of the fan? Hard shutdown sounds like the CPU T° safeguard. Check your T° with HWMonitor tool. Regarding thermal paste on the CPU, you're only supposed to put a rice grain equivalent in the centre of its top. No more.

Yes, the fan cable is properly connected, it is spinning "normally", very fast during boot, slowing down after a few minutes.

HWmonitor indicates normal temps (under 65°). During troubleshooting I did check how was thermal paste on the cpu. It's fine (a very tin layer covering all the surface of the cpu). The problem is probably heatsink related (for north and south bridges). I'll order a set of differents copper shims and make some tests. I'll let you know.

Thank U very much for the reply.