Dell XPS L321X - El Capitan / Sierra Install

GatorGeek

I created the ZIP file with iZip.  Opens fine for me here on another Sierra machine.

I didn't snap a pic of the KP on the L321X.

Im not sure why it won't open.  Try right clicking on the folder and use the compress option.

Would need pic of KP to try to make sense of whats happening. You are getting past still waiting for root device when it proceeds in the USB3 port so its definitely something else.  What seems to be happening is the USB2 port shuts down/becomes unrecognized, but the FL kext keeps the USB3 port going.  USBInjectAll.kext will reenable USB2, webcam, and WIFI card when you install to S/L/E after install.

• Moderators

@thesuffering,

I just tried your files, sleep doesn't work. Is that the same for you?

Also after opening the Lid, the LCD flickers unless I raise the brightness to the max or to the minimum so the flickers stop.

This also occurs with my files but sleep / wake works.

I don't have an issue installing from the left USB port, I'll upload my files as soon as I figure out the flickering issue. 

The Cypress touchpad kext was never updated since Yosemite, which cause KP on Sierra. I'm just using Rehabman's VoodooPS2Controller with minimal movement.

Update: Ulysses32 has updated a version for Sierra, but it's a bit sensitive to touch

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294608-cypress-ps2-trackpad-kext/

Sleep doesn't seem to work for me.  If I let it sleep it ends up powering off the entire laptop.  What did you do to get sleep/wake working?  Flickering isnt occurring for me, but Im just using Brightness by Berg Design as I couldn't get it working properly using the "proper methods"

• Moderators

@GatorGeek

Create the installer, to patch the MBR, just follow this line. Just need to replace patched OSInstaller to the directory specify.

macOSBMR = the name of your Installer drive. 

8.OSInstaller replace to

/Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A/OSInstaller

I've rebuilt my installer USB following Rehabman's process, but I am absolutely stuck on the MBR patching process for Sierra from Insanely

I can read the words, but the process makes ZERO sense to me...and my attempts to complete it have been futile.

I got this to work without a MBR patch.  Installed as GUID, got it working with a USB boot, then converted to MBR with a Ubuntu Live usb and installed Clover legacy on the HDD.  It was a bit of a PITA but I now have a 95% working 10.12.6 install booting directly from the SSD.

See my work with Rehabman here:

https://www.tonycrapx86.com/threads/xps-13-l321x.228433/

• Moderators

Here's my bootpack with addition to the USBXHCI_FL1009.kext from your files

The flickering only occurred after wake from sleep, fine on boot.

Just notice the webcam doesn't work on your files either.

Updated bootpack:

Attached Cypress touchpad kext and preference pane if you want to test

L321x.zip