This is the thread for ASUS X73SV laptop. I'd like to share with you all, what I've managed to achieve with this awesome machine!
I'm asumming everyone knows how to create installer and/or install OS X and I won't be explaining that. There are a lot of guides you can find around the net about how to install vanilla OS X system (and on this machine you certainly can and I encourage you to do so!).
Let's go straight in! Happy hac!
Processor - Intel Core i7 2670QM (2,2 GHz - 3,1 GHz with Turbo Boost)
Graphics - Intel HD3000 Graphics 512 MB with nVidia GeForce GT540M 1 GB (Optimus)
RAM - 2x4GB DDR3 (1333MHz)
WLAN - Atheros AR9002WB-1NG - AR9285 chipset (AR5B195 combo)
Bluetooth - Atheros AR3011 (AR5B195 combo)
LAN - Realtek RTL8151 Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
Audio - Realtek ALC269
Touchpad - Elantech SmartPad (v3 hardware)
WebCam - Asus USB 2.0 WebCam (Alcor Micro, Corp.)
Card Reader - Multi Flash Card Reader (Alcor Micro, Corp. - PID 0x6366)
Monitor - LG Display LGD02D1 - 1600x900
Optical Drive - Slimtype BD E DS4E1S
Release v1.0 notes:
(works with 10.8.4)
- Intel HD3000 Graphics with native 1600x900 resolution and QE/CI
- Audio (speakers and microphone - both internal and with jacks)
- Wi-Fi (as AirPort Extreme)
- Bluetooth (but it can't be turned off)
- WebCam (with CamTwist)
- Elan SmarPad touchpad
- Native Power Management
- Keyboard with Context and Fn hotkeys
- Card Reader
- Optical Drive
- HDMI Out (video)
- Battery (only indicator charging/full/working on battery)
What doesn't work:
- Battery (percentage and information) - work in progress;
- VGA Out - as I don't need it and probably won't need it, I probably won't have the motivation to fix SNB kext each time new update comes for it to always work (maybe I'll look into it later with Clover's kext on-the-fly patching);
- HDMI Out (audio) - didn't have time to do it, will probably do it in time;
- Sleep invoked by closing down the lid - work in progress;
- Bluetooth's turning on/off - work in progress.
What won't work:
- GeForce GT540M - Optimus technology is not supported by Macs, so probably it will never work.
- HD3000 is rarely creating artifacts, but there is a known issue of it creating graphics engine hangs.
There are two workarounds that work for me:
1) connecting another display through HDMI and enabling display cloning/mirroring;
2) using Quartz Debug enabling Disable 2D Acceleration option.
Stuff included in my files for ASUS X73SV
- SSDT files for my processor
- ApplePS2Controller & ApplePS2ElanTouchpad - v2.7.5
- AsusNBWMI - v1.4
- IOath3krmwr - v1.1.4
- FakeSMC - v5.1.67
- AppleSmartBatteryManager - v1.32*
- AtherosL1cEthernet - v1.0.2b2
- AppleUSBCardReader - v2.5.1
- AppleHDA - v2.3.1* (this is a 10.8.2 version, but it works without problems on 10.8.3-4)
- IOAudioFamily - v1.8.9*
3. Not included:
- NullCPUPowerManagement - for those of you, who don't have patched BIOS or don't use Clover as bootloader (which autopatches AICPUPM)
* AppleSmatBatteryManager, AppleHDA, IOAudioFamilly replace your vanilla kexts, so remember to back them up, if you plan on using them later.
AppleHDA and IOAudioFamilly information:
As many different sound cards have different specifications and builds not all AppleHDA kexts for the same card will work for all. With that in mind, I'm posting some information about my card, so you can check, if my AppleHDA will work with your card.
As for IOAudioFiamilly - since my ALC269 card has also EAPD node 0x2 at Node 14, I have to use patched IOAudioFamilly to have sound, when my laptop wakes up from sleep.
My ALC269 card has following nodes and paths (plus EAPD):
Speaker - Node 14
Paths: 20 -> 13 -> 3 (0x14 -> 0x0d -> 0x03)
Headphone - Node 21
Paths: 33 -> 12 -> 2 (0x21 -> 0x0c -> 0x02)
Internal Mic - Node 19
Paths: 25 -> 35 -> 8 (0x19 -> 0x23 -> 0x08)
External Mic - Node 18
Paths: 24 -> 34 -> 9 (0x18 -> 0x22 -> 0x09)
If it won't work, I strongly recommend to create your own patched AppleHDA.
Extra information and guides:
1. patching AppleHDA and IOAudioFamilly - https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/forum/76-applehda/
2. settings for keyboard and touchpad - https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/
3. settings for Fn hotkeys - https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/
As a some kind of bonus I'm also including files for my display (LGD02D1 - VID: 30E4 PID: 2D1):
- folder DisplayVendorID-30e4 - will show proper information about display in About this Mac (to install copy to System/Library/Displays/Overrides and reboot)
- calibration file the display - display calibration for laptop monitor you chose in it's settings (to install in Finder go to ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles - press Shift + Cmd + G, then chose it in display settings)
Ravven's ASUS X73SV files.zip