Sierra on Latitude E5440

griftopia

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched my SMBIOS in config.plist to MacBookAir6,2. I was so hoping that would fix it but it didn't :-(

Just checking - do I have to do anything else after changing SMBIOS? Like maybe regenerate SSDT?

Also just so I am providing correct information, My DVD player does not have any initialization error or anything. DVD player launches fine. It is just that the menubar applet says "No Drive" when I go to eject. DPCIManager lists it as "Unknown Device", but it does find it. System Report does not find it.

PS - I reverted everything back, but now I have NO Sound :-(. How is this possible? I did get latest iTunes update. Could it have killed my sound? There is really no way I messed up. I didn't modify existing config.plist. I created a copy in which I changed the SMBIOS and then at startup selected the new config_smbios.plist. I thought at first MBA6,2 killed my sound, but then I restarted and booted normally with config.pliet but still sound is gone and the only thing that changed is I installed iTunes.

JAke, I see my DVD now. I had to disable sata port for DVD in BIOS boot, restart and enable again. Now I can see it.

The sound goes off and on intermittently. I am trying to diagnose but very hard. Sometimes I lose after sleep, sometimes after restart, sometimes in the middle of using laptop where sound button on menu at simply disables. I always get it back if I shutdown and power on.

I know you mentioned solution is not perfect and if so I can live with it.

PS - still using MBP11,1 since I know it was not smbios issue.

Jake I am assuming that suggestion was for randomly losing sound. Will try.

EDIT - I have narrowed down the problem. It does not matter which CodecCommander is used.

50% of the time if I restart Mac OSX, Sound stops working. Everything is enabled, but I just don't hear sound.

100% of the time if I restart into Windows, then again restart into Mac OSX, same problem.

Shutdown, then power on fixes it.

Also I've switched to MBA5,2 to get my DW 1520 working. Not sure if this has any bearing on the sound, just mentioning.