E7250 and Sierra

winapenny

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got everything working other than the integrated Broadcom 5880 smartcard reader - there even is a driver included in macOS Sierra, but it is not showing up in the USB device tree to begin with and the driver reports no hardware found. Is this a hardware issue? I wouldn't need the wireless RFID function, just the smartcard slot.

(If only I could find an antiglare+fullhd+IPS screen for this nice e7250, instead of the bad panel installed now, that's bothering me more than the smartcard reader.)

Now I discovered a new issue: When I turn off the screen or close the lid and wait for at least two minutes, when I try to use it again the screen will turn on but remain blank, or after a while show the login window and hang with the spinning ball of death while the hdd led is going crazy.

After resetting the laptop I find the same log entry over and over again: "com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user: Service sets EnableTransactions=false and EnablePressuredExit=true, which makes no sense. Enabling Transactions."

I can reproduce this about every second time I turn off the screen. I turned off any hibernation/standby and even installed the SleepLess utility to prevent sleep with lid closed, and I verified that I can still ping the laptop with the lid closed. (Power light stays on too of course.)

So it's not a standby issue. Forget the smart card reader, that's a luxury. But turning the screen off is a bare minimum to work with a laptop... thanks!

It's running the latest BIOS, A14, that it came with. To make sure it's not an issue with the lock screen, I disabled that so that I end up on the desktop upon turning on the display. And that works, except that I too get the spinning ball there and it hangs forever.

What exactly can I do? A pointer in the right direction would be more than enough, but I am not sure what exporting raw files means. Thanks!

Here is the origin folder.

Now that I have a 4k capable displayport cable I noticed that video playback is very limited, both 1080p x264 and 4k videos are stuttering a lot. But that might be a limitation of the laptop, not indicating a problem with the Sierra. (When I read that the cpu is capable of 4k playback I assumed that refers to playing 4k material on a 4k screen...) I'll test this with linux/windows perhaps, just to make sure.

Otherwise I am happy to see that even a 4k screen is supported out of the box, at 60Hz.

origin.zip