Dell Vostro 3446 high Sierra

Abhishek Pal

I booted with the drive and ran into these errors and got stuck on the same. 

Not moving past. 

The other Clover boots i was doing, the boot screen started with Apple logo and rest on the same. This time it starts with verbose and be on it. 

IMG_20180906_124409.jpg

For brightness, This guide will simplify it by using three components that all work together to create the solution:

- a single pre-built AppleBacklightInjector.kext
- a patch for AppleBacklight in config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch
- SSDT-PNLF.aml to activate the AppleBacklight kext

Requirements:

This guide is only for Intel graphics laptops.
It will work with Arrandale, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake and Kaby Lake.

Spoiler

Preparation:

For brevity, we are going to use Terminal to acquire the files...

To start, make sure you have the Xcode command line tools. At a fresh install, you can just attempt to use 'git' in Terminal:

Code (Text):

git

The system will prompt you to download and install the tools.

After you have downloaded and installed the developer tools, we can use them to acquire the various github content we need for this guide.

Make the Projects directory if you haven't already:

Code (Text):

mkdir ~/Projects
cd ~/Projects

Clone the probook repo (if you haven't already)

Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects
git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch probook.git

Clone the guide/plist repo (if you haven't already)

Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects
git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config.git guide.git

You could download and install iasl with Terminal:

Code (Text):

cd ~/Downloads
curl --remote-name --progress-bar --location https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/acpica/downloads/iasl.zip
unzip iasl.zip
sudo cp iasl /usr/bin

Now we will build SSDT-PNLF.aml:

Code (Text):

cd ~/Projects/guide.git
make

You will find the resulting SSDT-PNLF.aml at ~/Projects/guide.git/build/SSDT-PNLF.aml.
AppleBacklightInjector.kext is at ~/Projects/probook.git/kexts/AppleBacklightInjector.kext.
And the patch required is in ~/Projects/guide/config_patches.plist.

Installation

To use this technique requires three components:
- SSDT-PNLF.aml in ACPI/patched
- AppleBacklight patch in config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch
- AppleBacklightInjector.kext installed to /L/E

Note: If you already have patched your DSDT (or SSDT) with a "Brightness" patch (PNLF), you must remove it! Same if you're using Clover's AddPNLF_1000000.

Also Note: The SSDT-PNLF.aml assumes that GFX0 (or VID on Thinkpads) is already renamed to IGPU. It will not work if your IGPU is not at _SB.PCI0.IGPU.

Copy the SSDT-PNLF.aml from ~/Projects/guide.git/build/SSDT-PNLF.aml to your EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched. If you're using SortedOrder in your config.plist, make sure you add SSDT-PNLF.aml to it. Also, it must be loaded *after* the OEM SSDTs. For many laptops, the IGPU (formerly GFX0) device is defined in an SSDT, not DSDT, and since SSDT-PNLF is dependent on this device already being defined, the SSDT-PNLF.aml must load after the OEM SSDT that defines it.

Add the patch marked with comment "change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx in AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan)" from ~/Projects/guide.git/config_patches.plist to your own config.plist at EFI/Clover/config.plist. Use a plist editor such as Xcode or PlistEdit Pro to copy/paste. DO NOT use Clover Configurator.

Install AppleBacklightInjector.kext to /L/E:

Code (Text):

sudo cp -R ~/Projects/probook.git/kexts/AppleBacklightInjector.kext /Library/Extensions

And I feel like I shouldn't even need to mention this, as it is obvious... but you must remove IntelBacklight.kext (and/or ACPIBacklight.kext) from wherever you installed it.

And since after doing all these tasks it will be the first time you are loading AppleBacklight.kext, and this fix involves a Clover hotpatch, you will likely not have it working on first reboot. So right after booting with all components in place, rebuild cache:

Code (Text):

sudo kextcache -i /

Then reboot.

Clover can only patch kexts in kernel cache, and upon first reboot, it will not be in cache, which is why the rebuild cache and reboot is required.

Dear friends I have a Dell Vostro 3446 the same one mentioned this topic but I have a strange problem after rebooting the installer my system stuck at Dell logo screen with showing F2 Set up and F12 boot Option the progress bar not loading in short system fails  boot in to any media (Hdd or USB) but in windows side all perfect system works normally .... system passed all diagnostic test every thing perfect there it is three year old  and run  El Capitan success fully .... I updated bios from A09 to A12 .... nothing help to solve the problem .... please help me 

In windows n ubuntu no problem boot normally it happens only in osx...... it is strange all diagnostic test shows no errors ....

The steps to which need to boot to HDD from this situation...

1. switch off the lap

2. remove HDD

3. switch on the lap ..... boot hangs....

4. switch off the lap then twich on lap smothly boot in n says insert boot media message .... 

5. switch off connect HDD n swich on system boot in to os ........ and if we restart or shutdown it is again hang in Dell logo shows f2, f12 n stays there n if we hit any of these keys i shows as selected ( brighten) and if we hit alt ctrl delet lap restarts....

all these are only happened with OSX if we instal windows or ubuntu lap perform smoothly without these errors, with same HDD ... The HDD is new one WD 1 TB purchased one 20 days before .....

If the lap enter clover it boots smoothly and perform much better than windows i think......

. Thats why i said "A STRANGE PROBLEM" ... Any idea ????