Dell E6400/6500 research thread

Mariusz

I have an E6500 with Nvidia. Everthing works nice now.

HSDPA, Airport (Waiting for my Card bought Ebay), Lan, Restart,Battery, Bluetooth, Shutdown, Sleep, Audio, Trackpad. (Only 32Bit), 64 Bit i have no trackpad. But Why 64bit? 4GB is enough for me. Thanks for dsdt from Mariuz.

I dont need GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

I've got a Dell Latitude E6400 on the way (currently in shipping). It lacks a back lit keyboard, but I'm wondering if I will be able to control a back lit keyboard from Mac OS, or if it's BIOS Controlled.

The one I'm getting is a:

2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo T9800

4 gigs DDR2 ram

nVidia NVS160M (avoided the GMA as it lacks Hackintosh support)

160 gig 7.2k HDD

1440x900 display

Intel A\B\G\N Wireless, can swap out with a Broadcom card from my old Dell Latitude D820 or this Inspiron 1010

Dell Bluetooth 370

I'm going to add a Sierra Wireless MC5725 as I have 3G card and I know it's supported under Snow Leopard by the Sprint Smart View Software for Mac OS X as I had my D820 running SL and it worked perfectly.

As far as I know everything will work except the Wifi, and I'm not sure about the Bluetooth, however it's not going to be needed at all so I can probably just pull it, I don't even own anything with Bluetooth except for my PDA and I don't use it for anything except music which is stored on a 2 gig CF card so it's not going to be read by the laptop anyways. This one has no finger print reader so that's not a problem and I doubt I'll ever use a smart card reader, I have one in my old Precision M60, my D820 had one, I own a USB reader for my desktop and this E6400 will have one, but I gave up trying to configure 'em :P.

I have an E6500 with Nvidia. Everthing works nice now.

HSDPA, Airport (Waiting for my Card bought Ebay), Lan, Restart,Battery, Bluetooth, Shutdown, Sleep, Audio, Trackpad. (Only 32Bit), 64 Bit i have no trackpad. But Why 64bit? 4GB is enough for me. Thanks for dsdt from Mariuz.

I dont need GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Really ? I met that sleep is impossible, so how do you make it work ? When I want to sleep, it will never return to work.

What is your current Axx version of CMOS? and your dsdt.aml is modified something ?

Ok...I found out the keyboard is fully BIOS controlled, no application control at all. It turns out this has a backlit keyboard and Broadcom Wireless, which makes life easier and the laptop better looking...not that I look at the keyboard when typing anyways.

Hello,

I was just wondering if someone has gotten both the VGA and display port working at the same time?

I have tried to connect 2 screens and pressing the Fn+F8 key while the system is still in Bios POST phase, this causes the internal LCD screen to blank and send output to the external VGA port. However, when the graphical environment starts it just reverts back to the internal display again, the Fn+F8 key press does not work anymore and the screen attached to the display port is also not detected.

I am able to work using the display port and the internal LCD but the internal LCD screen has a different resolution and is a lot smaller.

I was wondering if this behavior could be changed by the DSDT edit. This way 2 Dsdt files could be used. 1. when on the road. 2. when I am at the office with 2 external screens attached.

I would really like to use 2 external screen without the need for a dockingstation.

Br,

Mefte

I'm currently running 10.7.3, installed via the myhack method and updating from .2 to .3 gave me an issue too. libsifa1: What error do you get when you boot with the -v flag? As for the .4 update, I just got notice of it. I'll let you know if anything changes.

There is a forum for 10.7.4 here.

Hey all, just recently nabbed myself an e6400 recently (3 actually).

while i did have a headstart to this thread using a cloned drive of my d830, using the stuff here managed to get most of the bugs worked out. ill post the streamlined set soon, i have one last troublesome bug that i havnt figured out yet. it seems there is an issue in the usb stack, spewing out errors in the bootup. funny thing is, my usb mouse works, as does a jump drive.

sd card had issues at first, as did the network, but after extracting the key files from the above kext pack, adding the last sdhc driver in this thread, and adding/loading intele1000e.kext(and some others), most of my problems went away.

any ideas on the usb bug? (have a suspicion it might be my cell card, but that is on the pcie bus, not the usb, ill provide the exact error next post)

Well I rebuilt MyHack USB and tried again and this time it installed. When the message came up that my keyboard was not recognized I closed the window and did not answer questions. The keyboard works!! :) Trackpad, bluetooth, ethernet, and SD card are still not recognized, but it is better!

• Administrators

Dear clif,

We recommend that you do not mix different installation methods. If you decide to use our method please use it and only it.

Firstly, read through our installation guides in the osxlatitude.com website on how to create a usb installer, installing our bootpack into it and system configuration upon os x first boot up after installation.

For your information, our bootpack and EDP have support for E6400 machine.

Cheers!

Tryco2, I have an E6500 (very similar configuration) and have had an issue with SD card reader. It is a Broadcom 5880, which is identified in System Profiler under USB, but not recognized under card reader (is visible in disk utility with card in slot). Which driver did you use? Would ideally like to get this working and would appreciate any help in figuring it out.