Dell E6400/6500 research thread

Mariusz

I should add that the system animations do not work smoothly. I am using dstd.aml from Mariusz. I do not have the SSD. There is a some solution?

Edit:

This problem only occurs when the laptop runs on battery. When it is connected to the AC everything is ok. Help! :)

Edit:

Problem solved!

dsdt-mariusz2.aml fix slow graphic

Edited by kubasv

I currently have a E6400 that I originally installed 10.7 on. Everything was working great after I searched around and found some kexts that weren't included in the Extra pack. I then updated to 10.7.4 and with little effort, was able to get everything working fine. The only issue I am having now is that if the unit boots up on the docking station, it will give a kernel panic at the apple logo screen. If I boot the system off the dock, it boots fine, but as soon as I dock it, everything locks up and I get a kernel panic again. Has anybody else ran into this issue? I ran myFix on the myHack application, EDP, and Disk Utility permissions fix and nothing is working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

I removed any kext directory beginning with "NV" and then one by one added them back to S/L/E, updated the Kext cache, and restarted. The one that ended up throwing the kernel panic was NVDAResman.kext. None of the other ones seem to cause any problems. Now my issue is without the NVDAResman.kext, the video runs terribly and I can't adjust the resolution. Does anyone have any possible solutions of newer versions of this kext?

Try using the edited NVDAResman.kext from the Mountain Lion thread (Mountain Lion Anyone?). The first post contains kexts from ML that I edited to include support for the Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M. There are three kexts within the file, use the one, install with Kext Wizard and run My Fix (Full) from the My Hack utility.

Ok, I tried the above steps and now after the Apple logo appears and I get the spinning wheel for a while, the screen just goes back. I attempted to run with "-v" with the same issue. I am able to boot in Single User mode and all. Is there anything else I can try?

The only thing I can think of is trying to use the other two edited kexts as they likely have dependencies on each other. If not revert to the originals. I had a problem where a power adaptor I used (not sure where I got it from), had a bent pin (the center one where it goes into the laptop) and it was pressing against the side, not going where it should. On the laptop, it gave the indication that it was charging (actually wasn't) and caused KP's. Check contacts on docking station and connector on bottom of laptop for bent connections or foreign objects which might create a "grounding" affect.

Hey Mariusz,

So I have a Latitude E6400 with

Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26Ghz

2 GB Ram

160 G. hard drive

Quadro NVS 160M

Dell Wireless. (Airport worked natively during and post installation when it boot up)

I used https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1100-dell-e64006500-research-thread/page__view__findpost__p__7966

boot pack for the Extra file and merged it with Snow Leopard 10.6.3. using myHack.

After the installation, I installed the EDP dmg. and finished the installation.

But when I reboot the computer after I installed it, it got into a KP midway through.

Any ideas on what to do? or am I missing a step in the installation? Thanks!

What OS are you installing (Lion or ML) and which revision (such as 10.7.? or 10.8.?)? As updates were added there were kexts that needed to be deleted or replaced. If attempting ML, I have a Guide in the thread "Mountain Lion Anyone" for installation on your machine. However, if using 10.8.2 to start with, kexts need to be changed (I haven't had the time to update the guide). Keep in mind you might need to change your Wi-Fi card in you don't have a supported one (If you have one labeled "Intel", it won't work - swap it for a Dell DW 1510).

I'm trying to run 10.6.8 snow leopard cause of an app that will only run on snow leopard. Are there any kexts or other pre-configured Extra folders that I can download or other instructions that I might of missed? And as of now, everything pretty much worked except sleep and audio. But I think I'm gonna start from scratch again for the sake of other things that I might have missed.