rjjd

Mojave install on a DELL Precision M4800 ?

Hi all,  I got my hands on a DELL Precision M4800  

Specs: CPU Intel  i7-4710 MQ Quad core 2,5 GHz (Haswell) with HD Graphic 4600 intern 16GB memory 1600Mhz DDR3L,  15,6   UltraSharp FHD 1920x1080 screen, 256 GB SSD , Intel wireless card ( I will not use this)   AMD Firepro M5100w 2GB memory GDDR5

I want to use this laptop for video editing in replacement of my MacBook Pro 2009.

is this possible with this configuration?

Can someone help me out with a working guide for this laptop?

Thanks,

Edited by rjjd

Hi , no worries about the wireless internal card. I will disable it in the bios and use a external USB dongle with worked with all my previous other hackingtosh laptops 620. 630 and 830. My concern is the graphics card. I intent to use this laptop for video editing and if this is not possible then i have to look for another laptop which will work  . My present macbook pro 2009 is getting sadly  to old for editing stuff 

Hi rjjd,

I have the same machine that I use for my desktop. Given how bad Windows has become with spying and the fact that the Linux desktop still isn't there graphically speaking, I've been looking at switching my desktop to OSX. 

I found this link that has some advice and kext's for the M4800:

https://github.com/phen0menal/m4800-hackintosh

Keep in mind that the Precision M4800 and the Precision M6800 are essentially the same machines, so you can use how to's for the M6800 to help you along also.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291117-how-to-make-radeon-desktop-or-mobility-be-working-by-using-clover/?page=5

(EDIT) If you do get everything working, please let me know what files you used.... this will save me a HUGE amount of time later! ;) 

I found this:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/329390-amd-firepro-w5100-on-macpro-51-high-sierra/

Seems that the card will work with these mods, you will just have a blank boot screen until the system starts.

I'm planning to change my FirePro W5100 with a Quadro M1200 because I need CUDA for what I'm working on.

Hi, thank you for this  usefull information, but at this moment I am struggling with the creation of a bootstick, 😩 do you have a good manual for this?  I am using high Sierra dmg for this

The creation of a High Sierra USB installer is the same for all Hacks... Just follow any High Sierra guide where you'll see the createinstallmedia command that you need to use. There really is nothing to this.

As a 2nd step, you'll install Clover and as a 3rd step you'll add the appropriate Clover pack (EFI folder). It's as simple as that.

Hi Herve update from my side , we created a high Sierra usb boot disk and boot with stick on 2 dell precision and tried to boot the laptops. The first laptop  (precision 7510) boots with the installer , a boot option screen is shown , when we choose the USB Installer the laptop continues , you see a progress bar moving until 75%  then it stops we see white stop sign and the installation stops. On the second laptop at home same procedure but with this one when I turned off the laptop , the laptop has a black screen while booting up the system No Dell startup screen is shown. , totally nothing while you can see on the HD led sign that the laptop is booting in Windows ( is still the OS on this laptop)  Is this laptop destroyed ? I cannot go into the bios because I have no screen. An external screen is also not working.  Any ideas ?  Tomorrow we test further with the second precision 7510 at work.  I also have a precision M4800 as volunteer 

Let's keep this thread on-topic (Mojave on Precsion M4800) and avoid wandering into dead laptop discussions.