D630 WIFI Help

jerseydan31

according to leon he says it supported but didn't mention which os

Nothing....

Reseated card....messed with the BIOS settings....played with the side-switch....nothing!

At this point I'm thinking that it did not like the BIOS update. Do you know if OSX supports A18?

Ok all.....UPDATE:

- I've installed a different hard drive and installed Windows in order to downgrade the BIOS back to A16 (from A18)...that worked fine!

- re-inserted the OSX hard drive and re-installed OSX Lion clean (10.7.2 and performed no updates)

- downloaded the above IO80211Family.kext file (from http://www.osx86.net/view/173-bcm94312mcg.html)

- changed its permissions to 0:0 and ownership to root/wheel

- renamed the original /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext to something else (ie. IO80211Family.kext_old)

- copied in the new file (to /S/L/E)

- reboot

.......finally empty baseball field showed up in the upper toolbar and subsequently the new WIFI 'en1' interface in the network management menu

- then copied the new /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext to /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext_good (since the 10.7.3 update will reset the this file to factory default)

- after the cumulative update (to 10.7.3), deleted the/S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext file and renamed the/S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext_good to /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext

All is well! Took a few times to get this one (and about 8 hours worth of research/troubleshooting/banging my head against the wall).

Hopefully this helps others.

BTW, the WIFI light below the LCD screen (bottom right) does NOT light up even though the card is active and functioning properly...oh well!

THX everyone for your help!

Hi JD,

I can see you have things working now but can you please confirm if your system is a 1440x900 one ?

The reason I ask is that if you can get Lion working on A16 Bios, then that maybe the cause of some of my own problems with my D630.

Thanks,

Tim.

Hi JD,

I can see you have things working now but can you please confirm if your system is a 1440x900 one ?

The reason I ask is that if you can get Lion working on A16 Bios, then that maybe the cause of some of my own problems with my D630.

Thanks,

Tim.

Hello Tim,

I did confirm that my native resolution of my screen is 1280x800. Yeah, it would have been great to have the higher resolution....but nope! I did confirm so in my BIOS.

What issue are you having? Are you sure you can support 1440x900? Just go to your BIOS to verify so (look at another thread of mine to see in which section of the BIOS to find it). My BIOS does say that my MAX resolution is 1280x800.

Hopefully this helps.

I did upgrade my BIOS to A18 but I could not get my Broadcom wireless card to work (BCM9412). So I went back to A16 (even though I could not figure out if that was the try case or not).

-Danny

-Danny