Dualbooting OSX and XP?

elim

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IDE, USB, SCSI, eSATA, SATA, etc. The harddisk interface has nothing to do with the ability for dual, triple or even quad boot. Partitions and bootloader is the name of the game. But we have you covered in the wiki ;)http://www.osxlatitude.com/dualbooting-osx-and-windows/

i've read the instruction but not sure this works for both win7 and xp. i'll give it a try. Many Thanks Rhyker

actually ... I'm updating it as we speak :)http://www.osxlatitude.com/dual-boot-osx-and-windows-made-easy/ ... should be perfected in a few hours.

update: ahm ... stick the old one for now :) just trashed my osx

I tried this few days ago. OSX requires partition in GUID rather than MBR, thus windows xp installation cd became not bootable?

I'll try once more tomorrow.

xp will not run on guid. only mbr

I guess so. Once I did mbr partitions, installed xp, win7 and then a hack version of osx10.5.x, and then ubuntu. after ubuntu installation is done, the boot menu shows windows, macos and lunux, if choose windows, i get sub boot menu for xp and win7.

The partition is in mbr. The problem is that my usb osx installer refuse mbr partitions but the old hack version of osx10.5 accepts mbr partitions.

I guess the 10.6.0 img is from a particular installer for macbook air. That's why it'll not support my wireless card...

interesting conclusion. Have you opened your laptop to have a look what kind of wifi card you have? Dying to get the facts.

Look at the picture in my last post, it says MacBook Air

Mine is a working DW1395. I also got a DW1390 from ebay for $6 (free shipping, probably coming tomorrow). But seem won't help since the problem is in the installer.

Anyway to obtain some other SnowLeopard installer img? My iMac is crashed, i've to bring it to apple store this weekend. It cannot finish making installation usb, so I reboot the machine, but it keeps getting kernel panic since, and disk repair doesn't help.

hmm try cd / hit enter sudo touch System/Library/Extensions in terminal on your mac so it rebuilds em.

Thanks Bronxteck. My iMac gets unstable recently with very normal usage. This time it says version mismatch or no model number that I don't get it... Anyway, should not be a big damage. It can still boot to win7 (bootcamp)