E6520

DraKuL71

I'll add my own (vanilla) DSDT, extracted from a LiveCD to the chorus.

Mine differs from the others in that I have NVidia 4200M graphics, and have replaced the WWAN card with the Atheros AR9280/AGN card. Other than that, it is a standard i5-based Latitude E6520.

I have a patched DSDT that I've been using on my 10.7.3 install that appears to work for most things, but I do also have a myriad of patched kext files in S/L/E. Recently, I've been trying to get ML running, but have had very limited success. (Many devices not recognized, graphics stuttery and slow, etc.)

I'd be happy to do anything I can to help get an EDP ready for the 6520 .

Hello Igashu,

Does your e6520 shutdown with your patched DSDT or not?

I am now 85% done with mine, graphic card works very well. My nVidia NVS 4200M is fully recognized with proper VRAM 512MB. I had to patch both the following kexts: NVDAResman and NVDAGF100Hal for my NVS 4200M by following this post NVS 4200M Kext patch.

I was also getting AGPM Uknown platform error during boot time, so I had to also patch it for a full support of graphic card.

Thanks.

Hi Loralon, my e6520 does properly shut down and reboot now. The DSDT I am currently using isn't one I patched myself - I had one that I was making patches to here and there, but eventually found one on another forum thread somewhere that enabled proper shutdown and reboot, as well as volume control with the hardware buttons, so I start using that instead. I don't know enough about DSDTs yet to merge these changes back into a proper one for my hardware, but I imagine that must be possible.

Did your 4200M patches work under Mountain Lion or just for Lion? I'm hoping that between all of us with this model, we can come up with a good DSDT+Extras to fully support as much as we can.

Hi Loralon, my e6520 does properly shut down and reboot now. The DSDT I am currently using isn't one I patched myself - I had one that I was making patches to here and there, but eventually found one on another forum thread somewhere that enabled proper shutdown and reboot, as well as volume control with the hardware buttons, so I start using that instead. I don't know enough about DSDTs yet to merge these changes back into a proper one for my hardware, but I imagine that must be possible.

Did your 4200M patches work under Mountain Lion or just for Lion? I'm hoping that between all of us with this model, we can come up with a good DSDT+Extras to fully support as much as we can.

It is working under Mountain Lion with the latest 10.8.1 without any problem for now.

Could you share again your current DSDT? I have tried to patch my vanila DSDT with DSDT editor for the shutdown without success so far.

Thanks.

I added the E6520 package to the EDP, but only for the HD3000 version.

It would be nice to add the Intel / nVidia (optimus) version also to our EDP! So if someone could add me on Skype, we could have a look at it. My username is in my profile :).

• Like 1

Attached is the DSDT I am currently using for Lion 10.7.3 (with working shutdown) - if you can merge whatever it's doing right into yours, that would be awesome. Please also share your DSDT/Extras/modified kexts that you have working in ML if possible. If the modified kexts you have have been patched in S/L/E and the only thing you've modified is Info.plist entries, would be cool to move all that to legacy kexts in E/E for ease of portability - I could help with that, too.

DSDT.aml.zip

Attached is the DSDT I am currently using for Lion 10.7.3 (with working shutdown) - if you can merge whatever it's doing right into yours, that would be awesome. Please also share your DSDT/Extras/modified kexts that you have working in ML if possible. If the modified kexts you have have been patched in S/L/E and the only thing you've modified is Info.plist entries, would be cool to move all that to legacy kexts in E/E for ease of portability - I could help with that, too.

Thanks Igashu,

Please don't use the included DSDT.aml file as it is not completely done. I noticed that it affects my laptop performance. I also patched my Vanila DSDT with DSDT Editor just for shutdown and it is now working.

I may need to write a few steps regarding what I am currently doing to make my e6520 work. In the meantime please find attached the kexts I edited before seeing a normal boot work with graphic and audio. I remember particularly that I had to do a binary patch to:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

and for the remaining listed kexts I only made changes to the info.plist :

NVDAGF100Hal, NVDAResman, NVDAGK100Hal, NVDANV50Hal. My model in SMBios is MacBookPro8,1.

I am attaching the above files along with all other files that I found during my process. Please let me know if they will work for you.

I still need help with sleep and native battery management, so if any of the more experienced folks on the forum can help I will appreciate very much. I saw the following interesting post useful DSDT patches for sleep even though it is for an older model and my knowledge in DSDT patching is limited.

Please let me know if this works for you as well.

Thanks.

E6520 nVidia NVS 4200M pack.zip

Working_e6520_AppleHDA.kext.zip

Edited by Loralon

Thanks Igashu,

Please don't use the included DSDT.aml file as it is not completely done. I noticed that it affects my laptop performance. I also patched my Vanila DSDT with DSDT Editor just for shutdown and it is now working.

I may need to write a few steps regarding what I am currently doing to make my e6520 work. In the meantime please find attached the kexts I edited before seeing a normal boot work with graphic and audio. I remember particularly that I had to do a binary patch to:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

and for the remaining listed kexts I only made changes to the info.plist :

NVDAGF100Hal, NVDAResman, NVDAGK100Hal, NVDANV50Hal. My model in SMBios is MacBookPro8,1.

I am attaching the above files along with all other files that I found during my process. Please let me know if they will work for you.

I still need help with sleep and native battery management, so if any of the more experienced folks on the forum can help I will appreciate very much. I saw the following interesting post useful DSDT patches for sleep even though it is for an older model and my knowledge in DSDT patching is limited.

Thanks.

Hi Loralon,

Thanks for the post. I have not yet been able to get ML to boot with your files (even though I understand they're not yet completely done.) I have a fresh install (from myHack) and added your Extra folder (wouldn't boot) and then also added your S/L/E kexts (still wouldn't boot) - there is no Extensions folder inside your Extra (and not sure what the KextStore folder is used for) - can you offer more detailed instructions on exactly what steps you took? Thanks!

IMG_20120827_130238.jpg

Hi Loralon,

Thanks for the post. I have not yet been able to get ML to boot with your files (even though I understand they're not yet completely done.) I have a fresh install (from myHack) and added your Extra folder (wouldn't boot) and then also added your S/L/E kexts (still wouldn't boot) - there is no Extensions folder inside your Extra (and not sure what the KextStore folder is used for) - can you offer more detailed instructions on exactly what steps you took? Thanks!

IMG_20120827_130238.jpg

Sorry Igashu,

I will send you again all the files I changed in my whole S/L/E and Extra folders to make things easier. I might have omitted some vital kexts while sending the first package. I am also using chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) from multifail Mountain Lion from tonycrapx86. I could send you the whole folders (S/L/E and Extra) but the size is more than 280MB for S/L/E alone.

The one thing that you need to make sure is that in your SMBios your model is MacBookPro8,1 because I edited the two NVS 4200M kext files to reflect that. I remember seeing the error related to the AGPM Controller unknown platform. Once I edited the two files and run kext wizard to repair permission and my ML drive everything went well afterward.

Thanks.

Hi Loralon,

Sorry for not updating sooner, but I've gotten things booting properly now. I'm attaching my Extra folder - it's largely based on your work, but I've replaced the PS2Controller/Nub kexts from my working Lion install which seem to work better, a FakeSMC that's been injected with the hardware monitoring additions from multifail, an IO80211Family.kext that includes support for the AR9280 Atheros card, and a VoodooHDA/AppleHDADisabler that will hopefully avoid the dreaded VoodooHDA kernel panics.

I've tested, and this works straight out of the box (after being MyFix'd) with no modifications whatsoever to S/L/E

That said, it's using NullCPUPowerManagement, which is less than ideal. Would like to work on getting a properly patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement in there so that speedstepping works (and maybe even the pipe dream of sleep, someday)

Would be cool to have support for audio in the DSDT, too, so we didn't need to rely on VoodooHDA, but probably not a priority.

Let me know how this works for you, and hopefully we can use this as a basis for an ongoing, improving EDP for the e6520 w/NVS4200M. Once we get it to a relatively stable state, we can encapsulate most of it into a nice tidy Preboot.dmg, too.

Extra-Igashu-E6520-NVS4200M.zip