E6520

DraKuL71

These don't do much more for me. No change for battery indicator. not sure about sleep. Sleep no worky too.

I reinstalled OS X ML and my reboot works again from Hard Drive Bootloader. Verbose is gone in the new extra and the white OSX LATITUDE boot screen loads fine into login.

Thanks!

to prevent sleep (which destroys my ability to boot again) I set my display and System to never sleep, I also set the screen saver to come on. This works for now. But sleep still leaves the system down and the power switch to stay lit.

Hey Mick! Hope all is well. I was just touching base with you to see what our next steps are to get sleep and battery indicator. I think that is that last important and essential things left to tackle.

The computer is great and I have lots of people at school that are astonished I have a $320 MAC system when they paid $2000 or more. I have lots of people waiting at my school to see the system up $100 percent and willing to shell out money to get something newer and better. Obviously, if you're up to it and can help me with the installs, as promised I will contribute with donation.

Please let me know...thank you.

For anyone interested in mods to the E6520, here is something I just did with absolutely wonderful results.

I replaced my standard keyboard with an illuminated keyboard (UPGRADE OPTION). I bought the backlit keyboard : Dell part number: HG3G3 used in perfect condition for $44 on the main auction site. I arrived in perfect packaging and installed in 10 minutes. Install is easy. Remove the keyboard (LABELLED with keyboard icon) on the back (only three small screws. Remove the orange keyboard bezel by simply and gently prying the bezel upward around the entire keyboard. Unscrew several small black screws underneath the orange bezel. and the keyboard simply lifts up. Disconnect the ribbon cable by lifting the connector tab up. Install the new keyboard in the same fashion. The keyboard works in Hackintosh natively as it works independent of the operating system. You can turn off the illumination by holding the Fn key on the keyboard and pressing the right cursor arrow to the desired brightness or off. The keyboard works with other models as well such as E5520 M4600 M6600.

My next easy upgrade/mod is the LCD screen bezel. As of now, I don't have a built in camera. I only have the above screen dual-array microphone assembly.

The camera I am getting is the Dell part number:0CJ3P2 which is a 3.2MP VGA resolution.

The install for the camera is super easy as well. Gently pry the bezel around the screen upward and the bezel comes off effortlessly. Next, unscrew the microphone assembly and disconnect the ribbon connector. Connect the new assembly into the same ribbon cable port. Screw down the assembly and gently reattach the bezel by pressing firmly downward until all sides are clicked into place. You're done. I don't know if webcam works in Mountain Lion OS X yet. But will try. Even anyone has a camera to test, please let me know of your progress.

Some other mods that can be done (I dont know of all of them) is a battery pack in the CD-ROM location. There is a extended battery that can be inserted into the CD/DVD-ROM tray location.

Second HDD/SSD caddy to install in place of the CD/DVD-ROM assembly. Simple Install. Just press the button on the drive and pull out the tray, stick in the caddy with second drive.

Extended Battery slice that is attached to the bottom of the laptop via docking E-port. Adds minimal thickness. 9-cell Capacity is 97 Wh and can add 4-5 hours time to mobility.

• Administrators

Dear rezmez,

For battery indicator, you need to find the right kext. Have you tried all the battery kexts in EDP?

As for sleep, you can try the latest sleepenabler kext from voodoo project, generate s and p states in cham or check your dsdt to make sure the system states portion are there. You may also try without dsdt to see if sleep works. Also try the guide in the website on getting sleep to work.

Cheers!

I've only tried what iMick sent me to try in a variety of /Extra folders. He has gotten me beyond a point I've ever gotten to. Do you know if there's been any luck with the latitude series at all for sleep? What about battery.? Latest sleepenabler would be found where? I'm attaching my DSDT if you would like to see what you might be able to do with it. I just don't know. I would very much appreciate it. Did you guys see my donation ok? Also, I'm attaching the /Extra folder I'm currently using.

RezMax Dell Latitude E6520 - dsdt.zip

DELL E6520 (DSDT patched) - Extra V14.zip

I have had some terrible video playback specifically while trying to edit video in Final Cut Pro X using 1080p HD footage. Also, the computer froze several times.

There are green lines that scan across the screen during playback. I have to assume it is due to lack of playback RAM.

During setup in the BIOS, the display properties report 64MB. When booted into OSX 10.8, a whopping 384MB of VRAM is reported (see my screenshot included).

From what I have read:

"As with most reviews stating 384MB of VRAM for the Intel HD 3000 Graphics

The shipping configuration for the Early 2011 MacBook Pro w/4GB of memory will give you 384MB of VRAM. Install 8GB of memory and you will have 512MB of VRAM!

If you have 1500.00 laying around to purchase 16GB (8x2) you may be able to exceed the 512MB VRAM limit."

-Debugger (Attached screenshot from his MAC with installed 8GB RAM, claims the VRAM changes automagically).

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/125241/2011-macbook-pro-384mb-is-the-minimum-vram-on-the-hd3000

I would imagine that this makes since. But I wonder how much the added 16GB of RAM @ 1600MHz would increase the VRAM by.... Any ideas?

Any way to increase the VRAM without upgrading RAM sticks just to try it out?

post-4386-023884200 1344350984_thumb.png

post-4386-043050700 1344351053_thumb.jpeg

I'll add my own (vanilla) DSDT, extracted from a LiveCD to the chorus.

Mine differs from the others in that I have NVidia 4200M graphics, and have replaced the WWAN card with the Atheros AR9280/AGN card. Other than that, it is a standard i5-based Latitude E6520.

I have a patched DSDT that I've been using on my 10.7.3 install that appears to work for most things, but I do also have a myriad of patched kext files in S/L/E. Recently, I've been trying to get ML running, but have had very limited success. (Many devices not recognized, graphics stuttery and slow, etc.)

I'd be happy to do anything I can to help get an EDP ready for the 6520 .

E6520-DSDT.zip