Inspiron 7537: macOS Catalina 10.15.1 Beta - Still waiting for root device

Mate94

Hey @Jake Lo!

I took the liberty and tried to understand at least the kexts and drivers folder that you had assembled for me. 

1. I switched the FakeSMC.kext with VirtualSMC.kext and deleted SMCHelper.efi, just because I read that FakeSMC is no longer maintained and VirtualSMC.kext its successor in that sense. I tried booting the installer, and it worked fine. Was it a good idea of my own or any drawbacks I may have to face?

2. I placed an order for an Azurewave AW-CE123H/Dell DW1550 (BCM94352HMB) as a replacement WIFI+BT card. I have seen that in my Other folder you had prepared for an eventual Broadcom Wifi card. At least the AirportBrcmFixup.kext and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext makes me think that they are for this reason. I tried myself to look up how to actually set up this card and got kind of confused what I actually need. 

I have Rehabman's github page here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM
But then I stumbled upon this: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/339175-brcmpatchram2-for-1015-catalina-broadcom-bluetooth-firmware-upload/
and I am confused which one to really follow.😅

Thank you again for your kind response!

• Moderators

1) Yes, VirtualSMC is fine, but you should remove ACPIBatteryManager and pair it with SMCBatteryManager.kext

I think Catalina had dropped the AirPortBrcm4331.kext that supports DW1550/DW1510, so you'll need to replace IO80211Family.kext from Catalina with that from Mojave.

More details here and you can get a copy there as well.

2) For Catalina, Rehabman's kext won't support. Go with that one you had stumbled onto 😋

@Jake Lo

Understood! ACPIBatteryManager went, SMCBatteryManager came! In all seriousness, I don't currently have a battery installed as it died a while ago, but let's pretend as if it was still there. 😂

Aren't BCM4322 and BCM4352 different? I might very well be mistaken and they are both controlled by AirPortBrcm4331.kext, but it just doesn't add up. 

So, after reading through the topic here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/339175-brcmpatchram2-for-1015-catalina-broadcom-bluetooth-firmware-upload/
- It may seem that I will have to have include BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext, and BrcmPatchRAM3.kext into my kexts/Other folder. 

Aaand it's question time again: 

1. Does FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext still makes sense to include or it has nothing to with Broadcom WiFi, but to enable the IGP a.k.a. HD4400...?

• Moderators

I could be wrong but I think BCM4352 is controller by AirPortBrcm4360.kext

Yes, you need BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext, and BrcmPatchRAM3 in Clover kext or 

BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, and BrcmPatchRAM3 in /L/E

FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext is to make 3rd party wifi display as Airport Extreme. I think you're confuse with FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext which is no longer needed with Whatevergreen.kext