Dell Latitude 3400: macOS installation keeps failing

MrJonesIII

@Jake Lo - My apologies, but I don't know what a KP log file is (kernal panic log file?) or how to retrieve one. I googled it and one post said that a Hackintosh system doesn't support this. A photo of the last screen is attached, but there's a video I took last night which shows the verbose output of the screen during the boot attempt in a post I put up 9 hours ago... 

Can you please point me to some instructions on how to retrieve the logs you need to see? 

IMG_3407.jpg

• Moderators

Video is worst than the 1st, but I was able to get the KP from the 1st video after some patience. It's pointing to IONVMEFamily.kext which means you might be having some issue with your NVMe drive.

Try this Config file, added a patch for block size swap. If it still KP, add -igfxvesa. If that also failed, replace your NVMe drive with a supported model.

config.plist.zip

@Jake Lo - Thanks so very much for that. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped.

I've already replaced the Samsung NVMe drive with one from Micron. If you're now saying that both of them are not compatible, then I'm not sure what to do from here. Thing is that I'm not even getting to the stage where I format the drive, much less write to it. Why would a drive incompatibility be stopping the bootloader from running at all and bringing me to the Mac OS installer/utilities screens?  

• Moderators

It's booting to a stage where it's about to access your NVMe drive and failed. If you have an external drive, you could try installing to that as a test of the installer.

You might still have to disable the NVMe drive though. Samsung PM961 is supported as is the WD (WDC PC SN720 SDAQNTW-512G-1001) I'm currently using.

To be safe, you can opt for a Sata SSD

Another thing you could test, is disable or remove the NVMe drive and try if you could boot all the way with the installer.

@Jake Lo - I disabled the internal NVMe drive and it went through. I then put the Samsung PM981 back in and strangely enough was able to format it and start the install, but it kept freezing.

It's not what I wanted to hear, but what I needed to know. A rather cruel way to find out I got two incompatible drives in a row. I've lost nearly a week to this thing.

I'll see about getting yet another drive. I need a 1TB one. I quickly googled the ones you've listed and it looks like the first one is only 256GB, and I can't see any stockists showing the SN720 available in a 1TB configuration from what I can tell...