Latitude 3400: seeking help to install Big Sur

Jorge1964

I've created the USB Disk.

Now, on my Dell Latitude 3440, I can't boot from the USB DISK. It Boots from windows even with the BIOS changes.

When I get out of the Mac OS, I have to unmount and eject the USB Disk , right ?

Success booting from USB Disk.

When selecting disk to install BigSur, I choose the notebook intern SSD disk, and it tells me " This disk is locked".

Can't go any further

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Did you format the drive with GUID / Journaled Extended?

If you have Windows previously, it might be formatted to MBR. You'll have to convert it to GUID if you want to keep Windows.

Otherwise, select drive from the root and formatted it.

PS: is your system 3440 or 3400? 3440 is a totally different system (Haswell) and you should create a new topic for it

• Administrators

@Jorge1964, Your queries have been split to their own thread to avoid polluting @tanya's own research/advanced thread.

With regards to target disk/partition, once you've booted the Big Sur installer:

• partition scheme: GPT (not MBR)
  • format: HFS+, i.e. OS X Extended (Journaled) or APFS

The installer will automatically convert partition to APFS if necessary.

You cannot do any of this from Windows.

• Administrators

Obviously, yes; it says so on your screenshot: "Set the order BIOS searches devices..."

You will want OpenCore as #1. And you may want to remove the UEFI Boot path security to avoid the associated hassle, but it's up to you really.

• Administrators

Same on my 7490, BIOS UEFI menu doesn't look anything like that. I never had to manually specify any UEFI path to boot, these were automatically added.

@Jorge1964, you've got to make sure you place your OpenCore EFI folder in the SSD EFI partition. Of course, you have to mount it 1st and you can do that with various tools such as Clover Configurator, OpenCore Configurator, EFIMounter or manually through Terminal commands. See here for instance.