Latitude E5430: distorted graphics in Big Sur

ssprod

Thanks very much Jake! Yes, I did that and it seems to get me installed. System seems to run quite smoothly with Big Sur using Sam Gangee's EFI. I'm not seeing trackpad or screen brightness however. Any thoughts? Thanks, and hope you are well. I haven't been around for quite some time. 

• Moderators

Try this, replace Config and add DSDT+SSDT to ACPI, replacing the old

- Add patches for Brightness and Fn+Arrow Key

- Add patch for SD Card reader

- Disable a bunch of unnecessary patches.

- Too many USB Port limit patches, not sure which one is actually working

• USBInjectall+SSDT-UIAC.aml // I disabled it
  • USBPorts.kext                         // I disabled it
  • USBInjectAll+OC Quirk Patch //only one enabled now. If you lose USB, then try the others or create your own with Hackintool.app

LoRes_BrightnessFix.zip

• Administrators

Please note that the iGPU properties injection in this OC config are arguable. I guess they derived from the initial settings used for HiRes Capri FB 0x01660004 that only natively supports 1 x LVDS display output (for built-in LCD) and for which additional display outputs, taken from the LoRes layout, were injected. Given their origin, these properties don't really do any harm to FB 0x01660003 but they're not required at all.

One noticeable item is the absence of property injection for the Capri FB memory size (to reduce it from 16MB to 8MB). Only 2 x properties should be used for patching the Capri LoRes framebuffer: 1 x for FB memory size and 1 x for HDMI audio.

The properties injection should therefore look like:

AAPL,ig-platform-id         03006601    DATA
framebuffer-patch-enable    1           NUMBER
framebuffer-fbmem           00008000    DATA
framebuffer-con1-enable     1           NUMBER
framebuffer-con1-type       00080000    DATA

A few other things look irrelevant, like the -lilubeta boot arg; but these things are probably inherited from a time where Big Sur was beta and not fully supported by our well-known add-on kexts. Things can however be cleaned up now.

Greetings.. excuse my delay. Many thanks Jake Lo and Herve, you guys are awesome!  Getting further with my E5430 (Lo Res).  2 issues presently, upon log in, system will go to sleep--->Upon pressing power, i'm in and good. Lan stays at "self assigned ip and won't connect to the internet via ethernet. I'm using a 7260 card and can connect to the internet with AirportItlwm_v1.0_Beta_BigSur.. Many thanks!

EFI-E5430 Lo.zip

• Moderators

try this newer version of BCM5722D for ethernet, support for this device has not been that good

As or the sleep upon wake could be due to using DSDT from another device not native from your system with the different BIOS version.

You could export your vanilla DSDT/SSDT and I'll patch it for you. Maybe upgrade to latest BIOS before exporting.

See here on how with OC

But much easier if you have Clover. Doesn't even have to be bootable to the Installer, just need to get to the Clover GUI, and you could press F4 to export to the EFI partition

• Administrators

System going to sleep at login is typical when CPU power management is not in place as is the case here: no CPU-specific generated SSDT, incorrect kernel quirks, incorrect SMBIOS. So:

1. generate your CPU-specific power management SSDT using good old Pike R Alpha's generator script
  2. remove XCPM and Lapic kernel quirks, they don't apply to an Ivy Bridge platform
  3. change SMBIOS from Haswell MBP11,2 to Ivy Bridge MBP9,2 or MBP10,2
  4. remove vsmcgen and -lilubeta boot arg/flag, I don't believe you need the former and latter is totally irrelevant now (Lilu fully supports Big Sur)

And post your system's specs of course so we don't remain in the dark...

Greetings.. System seems to be working quite well with the exception of USB. The 2 ports on the left and right side seem to work sometimes upon boot, other times not. The back port works consistently. Using MBP9,2/10,2 renders ""This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform". Thanks very much!

ssprods E5430.zip