Dell latitude E6540: Video glitches

TheOtherOne

• Administrators

Big Sur supports most mainstream Intel iGPUs from Ivy Bridge HD4000 to Ice Lake Iris Plus as long as they meet the minimum requirement of GT2 specs. You may refer to Dortania's GPU buying guide for further info on the matter. Haswell HD4600 iGPU has been supported since OS X ML 10.8.5/Mavericks and remains fully and natively supported in Big Sur. There should be no graphics issue on your E6540.

Your setup may be incorrect and, with regards to glitches, the Haswell cursor memory patch (increase from 6MB to 9MB) aims to address this though I must say I never needed it on my E6440 when I had it.

Post a zipped copy of your OpenCore EFI folder if you want further assistance.

NB: Your signature indicates an M.2 SSD in your E6540; strange and rather confusing given that the E6x40 only offered traditional SATA and combo PCIe/USB/mSATA slots... Unless your using an M.2 SATA SSD in a 2.5" SATA adapter of course.

@Hervé: you are right , it’s a m.sata Samsung 250gb which the e6540 got delivered with. Not an m.2 , sorry for confusing here. I changed my signature. I was wondering if this little drive would also work in the laptops mini pcie slot. It did and I had win10 running for a while on it. Now a Broadcom apple bt card via adapter is working in this slot. 
I was testing Big Sur a couple of month before with open core 0.6.3 I suppose. And I got it running except the graphic glitches. But didn’t had time to fix it. Sad because it worked quite well. So I ditched the drive for other purposes. And now I have problems getting even a oc 0.6.5 Big Sur install stick without any error ready to install Big Sur again.

• Administrators

It's been said before and you'll find a few old threads here and at InsanelyMac on the matter: mSATA SSD do not work in mini-PCIe slots. Whilst the slots physically look the same, they're not electrical identical. So, mSATA drives work in mSATA slots only. In the case of the E6x40, the slot supports 3 x usage: PCIe, mSATA and USB. But that's a fairly rare combination.

With regards to Big Sur and OpenCore, the differences are minimal between version 0.6.3 and 0.6.5 as far as any config goes. If you need further assistance, just do the needful, i.e. post your stuff. There are existing threads relating to running Big Sur on this Latitude E mode so you should have been able to re-use existing stuff posted in those threads.

Now I have Big Sur running again. Just audio , keyboard, touchpad and graphics aren't adjusted. Because of open core and its differences to clover I need to figure out , how to fix those things. Perhaps a hint from Herve would be helpful. I will load up my config later on. 

• Administrators

No difference between OpenCore and Clover in the respect of audio, keyboard/trackpad or graphics settings. If you follow the Dortania's guidance, you'll clearly see it. No further hint to provide until you post your config.