D830: Success via 10.13.6 | Post Install Discussion

syndikate

Hi all,

After months of lusting after my very own hackintosh, I bit the bullet and had tremendous, first-time success. I wish jailbreaking my 12 mini was this easy! Much appreciation to the trials and tribulations for those that came before me. I understand that this device is more than likely a ticking time-bomb with the equipped nvidia, but here it goes:

Model: Dell D830
Spoofed Indentifier: MacBookPro7,1
Clover: 5122 commit 1fe7cc1cf
BIOS: A17
CPU: T8300 Penryn
GPU: nVidia Quadro NVS 135M
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 667Mhz PC2-5300 SODIMM
Storage: 256GB SSD
WiFi: 802.11n via 4965AGN M1530

I followed Hervé's guide here. Worked just as described first time around. Granted, this is my first hackintosh, but I'm not afraid to fiddle around with clover configurator to get this thing into prime shape. The only adjustments I've made are directly from the post related to HS and changing my serial (among a few other identifiers as prescribed).

Before I made the decision to install clover, I made some interesting upgrade choices on this machine that was otherwise collecting dust - first laptop that I've worked on beyond upgrading RAM/storage. The T8300 works; but I should have opted for the T9300 - oh well.

WiFi card. Rather than picking almost the first one suggested by the video tutorials on youtube, I should have consulted with the inventory of supported cards. I'm finding myself in buyer's paralysis - I have managed to confuse myself with the recent realization that WWAN =/ WLAN. I want the fastest compatible (presumably AC), and I also want bluetooth, but cannot for the life of me find any reference to this mysterious DW360 bluetooth module that's referenced across these many posts.

--

Side note on optimization: I'm unsure if these are directions to find these files and/or execution of various kexts. To quote from the install guide:

native CPU speedstep (with SMC-tuned Kozlek's FakeSMC v6.13.1363 and MBP7,1 SMBIOS profile)

native GPU throttling (with above AGPM-tuned Kozlek's FakeSMC)

And from further reading:

Keep DSDT as is and clone the GFX0 section of the MBP5,1 entry of AGPM kext Info plist to a new Vendor10deDevice042b entry with control-id set to 18.

...Obviously, solution #2 is the preferred method as it does not require the somehow risky DSDT patch and it fits in line with existing entries in the AGPM kext Info plist.

I've just achieved identical results on my D620 nVidia model, using the exact same principles but a different device id for the Quadro NVS 110M GPU (id 0x01d7).

...It's pretty safe to say this extends to other D830

As well as from this:

D830 nVidia Quadro NVS 135M/140M

With 32/64 or 64bit FakeSMC v5.2.678 & plugins version (or later v6.x.xxxx)

SMC keys -> use id of MacBookPro5,1 i.e. 1.33f8

SMC compatible -> use "smc-mcp"

SMBIOS plist -> use MacBookPro5,1 profile from Chameleon Wizard

Remove CPUMonitor + NullCPUPowerManagement + VoodooPState + VoodooTSCSync + SleepEnabler kexts from /E/E

From Mavericks onwards, remove AppleACPIPlatform kext v1.3.x from /E/E (i.e. run vanilla kext). Use/keep it only for Lion and ML.

Native SpeedStep fully supported through entire CPU speed range

Native Sleep/Wake with hibernatemode set to 0 and /var/vm/sleepimage file deleted

GPU/memory clockings showing at 168/100, 275/199 and 400/399MHz

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

• Administrators

The bootpacks posted in my guides provide all you need for the D830. Everything is already tuned for optimum performance: graphics and CPU power management; as such, you have nothing further to do.

DW360 is an old Bluetooth 2.0 module that was optionally fitted to the old D series and many other Dell laptops from 13-to-15years ago. If all you want is very basic support for things like Bluetooth mouse or connections to Bluetooth speakers, that'll probably do but if you want full Apple services like AirDrop or Continuity, forget it. These require a fully supported BT4.0 module in which case you would want an appropriate combo card (Wifi + Bluetooth).

The D830 offers 2 x full-size mini-PCIe slots: 1 x WLAN and 1 WWAN. If you want 802.11ac wireless + fully supported Bluetooth, go for something like a real Apple BCM94360xxx model installed into a mini-PCIe adapter that you'll fit into the WWAN slot. Although it really is an ideal card -if not THE ideal one-, you may have to stay away from the BCM94360CD model because it requires 4 x antennas and, instead, look at other models that use 2 or 3 antennas only. Pay attention to the card's antenna connectors because the D Series have the old bigger antenna plugs rather than the smaller ones fitted to newer M.2 cards. There are adapters though, you can look this up. Such adapters would be required if you opted for an M.2 card installed on a mini-PCIe adapter (eg: Fenvi BCM94360NG, DW1820A, etc.). You found the inventories in the Wifi technical info section, look at the other useful threads posted there too.

But it's all hardly worth it in 2021, those C2D Latitude D series laptops really are long in the tooth now and mostly obsolete for recent macOS versions.