E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Managed to get the touchpad working, including two finger scrolling!

I installed V5 of this driver: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/

Basically all I did is delete every single PS2 related kext I could find, including /S/L/E/ApplePS2Controller.kext, the same file in /Extras/Extensions, as well as a couple of VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooPS2Keyboard, and VoodooPS2Mouse.kexts, both in /Extras/Extensions, as well as buried under /S/L/E/myHack.kext/Contents/Plugins, also /Applications/myHack.app/Contents/Resources/Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext  and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in the same location.

Then, once everything PS2-related has been removed, install the VoodooPS2Controller.kext found in the above link under the "Release" folder. Now, copy the VoodooPS2Daemon program to /usr/bin, Repair permissions and reboot. Your trackpad should now show up under the Trackpad prefs pane, where you can configure multi-finger scrolling, tap-to-click/drag, etc!

Note: You must delete *everything* PS2 related. At first I left behind one of the kexts under the myHack directory and it loaded that instead. The way I found everything is by first running /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb, then searched using the command "locate PS2"

I've tried quite a games on this latop now. :)  So far:

From my Good Old Games account (www.gog.com)

Wing Commander I, II, III

Strike Commander

Wing Commander Privateer

All of the above are flawless on this laptop.  My fighter pilot days have returned!

Newer games from Steam:

X-Com Enemy Unknown - works fine but a little slow, lower settings might help - current at medium and low

Civilization V - works perfectly at medium to low settings

My MSDN Subscription allows me to get the whole suite of Microsoft products for Mac OS X for free (I'm a developer). Office 2011 is super nice on this laptop.  Picked up CoRD for doing remote work on some of my Windows machines in my office.

Next games I want to pick up off GoG or Steam are the King's Bounty games.

Anyhow, I'm happy I found this site and this thread.  My E6410 was not really being used for anything fun like this.  

BTW I made my install USB by booting to ML from VMWare Image in Windows and the purchased ML from Apple Store and following these instructions.

This laptop is not too bad with games. I too was surprised at how smooth some of the games that I played (Call of Duty, Need for Speed, etc.) ran under Windows. Haven't tested the Mac side too much but after reading your post I think I'll have to!

Anybody else having a problem with Apple Sign in?

Works:

Apple Store

Itunes

iCloud

Doesn't:

FaceTime

iMessage

Try install the latest version of Chameleon or chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded). I would try chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) first (from the E6410 ML.zip) and then go to Chameleon if that doesn't work for you.

Managed to get the touchpad working, including two finger scrolling!

I installed V5 of this driver: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/

Basically all I did is delete every single PS2 related kext I could find, including /S/L/E/ApplePS2Controller.kext, the same file in /Extras/Extensions, as well as a couple of VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooPS2Keyboard, and VoodooPS2Mouse.kexts, both in /Extras/Extensions, as well as buried under /S/L/E/myHack.kext/Contents/Plugins, also /Applications/myHack.app/Contents/Resources/Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext  and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in the same location.

Then, once everything PS2-related has been removed, install the VoodooPS2Controller.kext found in the above link under the "Release" folder. Now, copy the VoodooPS2Daemon program to /usr/bin, Repair permissions and reboot. Your trackpad should now show up under the Trackpad prefs pane, where you can configure multi-finger scrolling, tap-to-click/drag, etc!

Note: You must delete *everything* PS2 related. At first I left behind one of the kexts under the myHack directory and it loaded that instead. The way I found everything is by first running /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb, then searched using the command "locate PS2"

Great work! I just tried it and it works beautifully! I will update the guide soon...

Solved**

Kind of..

Seems whenever I get into trouble all i do is replace AppleAHCIPort & IOAHCIFamily Kext in the System and everything works again. why is that?

Somewhere between all the Apple updates, the way the OS handled disks (and other components) changed a little bit. This is why certain kexts have to be replaced with older versions or patched.

Speedstepping does not work on the E6410 using the methods I've tried when I first set it up (Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/Delete nullcpupowermanagement, and using kernel extensions from multifail).

And my fan doesn't run all the time, although like you, the  hw.cpufrequency, hw.cpufrequency_min and hw.cpufrequency_max are the same...

Also, when idle, the system seems to cool down after a while. Do you have the fan set to always run in the BIOS?

Are there any error messages that pop up when the applications(s) crash(es)?

I definitely have speedstepping working.  I am using a patched dsdt, but no patched kexts to accomplish it.  Its definitely possible, I can see the speeds changine in the monitoring app I have in the menu bar.

Let me look tonight and see if there is anything special I did

Edit:  It also just occurred to me that people not having native power management working would also preclude sleep working.  This makes me think sleep is much more achievable that I previously thought, as I got it going on a Studio 1535 a while back, and the whole key was native power management.

More to come tonight :-)

If you have speedstep working, I'd love to know what DSDT modifications you've done!

I had a look today and played around with my DSDT, trying to get sleep to work. I've had a bit of success so far, using this hack:

On some machines, this hack enables sleep.
At the end of the _WAK method, this must be added:

Return (Package (0x02)
{
    Zero, 
    Zero
})

It doesn't go into sleepmode, however it no longer crashes. It used to be when it tried to sleep, it would hang and couldn't be woken. I would need to power the system off by removing the battery or holding the power button.

Now, with this hack in place, at least I can close the lid without losing my work. That's progress I suppose.

DSDT.zip

Ok, so looking in dmesg it says "System sleep prevented by pci10de,be3" which is apparently the Nvidia HD Audio controller. I guess it has a separate audio port in the displayport output, which is preventing it from sleeping.

According to this: http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=634 I should remove the _PRW section from the offending device's DSDT section, which seems to be HDEF.

I really have no idea what I'm doing here, but I'm about to test. Will edit this post in minutes.

Edit: Nope. Removed the _PRW section from the HDEF device, but it's still saying "sleep prevented by 10de 0be3"

Edit2: Also the battery icon goes missing.

finally managed to get a stable Mountain Lion 10.8.3 with the orignal image i have wifi working,touchpad with scrolling,max resolution no QE since my lcd didn't support it :/. Im trying to update to 10.8.4 any specific way of doing this without messing up my current setup? also the OP said he got Bluetooth working,how? mine says no bluetooth hardware found, also my VGA port don't work i have chameleon installed and it still dont display when i connect my monitor. other then that the laptop seems to be running OSX flawlessly! Thanks For this Great Guide! 

In addition to replacing any kexts mentioned in the latest Edit (see the first post), remove all the PS2 related kexts (like ApplePS2Controller.kext; I believe this is the only one, but you should double check anyway) from S/L/E.

As far as bluetooth goes, I don't have bluetooth module, however I believe alerphjuan did, and he was the one that got it working.

When you connect your monitor, in "System Preferences", if you select "Displays" and hold down the "Windows Key", does clicking "Detect Displays" find your monitor?

In addition to replacing any kexts mentioned in the latest Edit (see the first post), remove all the PS2 related kexts (like ApplePS2Controller.kext; I believe this is the only one, but you should double check anyway) from S/L/E.

As far as bluetooth goes, I don't have bluetooth module, however I believe alerphjuan did, and he was the one that got it working.

When you connect your monitor, in "System Preferences", if you select "Displays" and hold down the "Windows Key", does clicking "Detect Displays" find your monitor?

ok i connected my secondary monitor and did as u said, it does nothing when i click "Detect Display".

also when i do the apple update from the apple software update i upload these kext with kext wizard AppleAHCIPort & IOAHCIFamily Kexts and when i go to boot it just hangs on the apple logo with the loading circle 

I have a bluetooth module in mine, and it works perfectly, even during the install process. No extra steps needed.

System profiler says it's a broadcom module:

Vendor ID:    0x413c

Product ID:    0x8187

ACTUALLY, I shouldn't say "no extra steps needed" because having a bluetooth module means the setup process asks to pair a bt keyboard and mouse, and the only way to shut it up is to either do as it asks or plug in a USB kb and mouse. For some reason the installer doesn't recognize the PS2 kb/trackpad even though they do work during setup. I should have mentioned earlier, you may want to put in your guide "If you have a bt module, have a USB kb/mouse handy"

ok i connected my secondary monitor and did as u said, it does nothing when i click "Detect Display".

also when i do the apple update from the apple software update i upload these kext with kext wizard AppleAHCIPort & IOAHCIFamily Kexts and when i go to boot it just hangs on the apple logo with the loading circle 

Try booting in verbose mode, that'll tell us where it's failing.

My guess is those kexts didn't get installed correctly, and you may need to install them by hand from the USB key.

Okay, so I've played around with DSDT editing a bit, and I can't figure anything out. I dumped a fresh DSDT table from my bios using a ubuntu livecd, then applied this patch file: http://olarila.com/Packs/Dell/Latitude%20E6410.txt

It compiles with only one remark and a bunch of optimizations, but it still says sleep is being prevented, and plus, when I use the DSDT.aml that I compiled, I lose my battery status icon. I really don't know enough about these things to know why.

Patel4prez, where did you get the DSDT.aml you include in the package?

I'm semi-convinced we should be able to get sleep, speedstep, etc working via DSDT editing.