Slow Shutdown

JDubU

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

If it wasent loaded you wouldent be able to boot.. check this out...

air:~ lsb$ kextstat | grep AppleACPI

11 2 0xffffff7f81d26000 0x57000 0x57000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.6)

24 0 0xffffff7f81d83000 0x7000 0x7000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC (1.6)

28 0 0xffffff7f81d8d000 0x4000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons (1.6)

My kernel panics were definitely not due to file permission problems. I fixed all file permissions using both MyFix (Full) and Disk Utility multiple times but was still getting random KP's no matter where AppleACPIPlatform.kext was located.

I think that I've narrowed the problem down to either VoodooHDA.kext or, possibly, kernelcache corruption.

After deleting the entire com.apple.kext.caches folder from S/L/Caches, I did a custom EDP 4r12 rebuild using AppleHDA #2 instead of VoodooHDA #3, leaving the AppleACPIPlatform.kext that EDP installed in both E/E and S/L/E. The system has since been totally stable with normal shutdown/restart times.

I wanted to try to install AppleHDA again because it doesn't mess up input/output volume levels after every restart like VoodooHDA does. Previously, I could not use AppleHDA because it had linking errors that prevented kernel caching.

Thinking that the KP's and cache linking problems may have been caused by a corrupted kernelcache, I had previously tried to delete only the 'kernelcache' file in S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup, not knowing what the other files in S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches did. After deleting the entire com.apple.kext.caches folder, the kernelcache now rebuilds quickly and reliably (no linking errors with AppleHDA or AppleACPIPlatform). I don't know if those other files in S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches where contributing to the caching problem from the very beginning.