[GUIDE] D520 OS X Lion

bobdamnit

I loaned my D50 to my sister for a few weeks. Because she had never used OS X, I blew away that partition and left Windows alone. No big deal, I can (and probably needed to) reinstall simply enough.

So, I reinstall 10.7. Installer was on my hard drive, and had been left untouched. Chameleon was still on the machine, and was initializing Windows with no problem. So I could make Chameleon load the myHack installer that was on its own partition on the hard drive no problem. And it went great.

10.7 installed just fine, or so I thought.

I'm not sure whats up, but I cannot get the DW1395 to recognize. It shows up in System Profiler and also shows up in LSPCI. The Airport icon shows up in the Finder menu bar, however it just says "Airport not configured".

So I made sure that the Bcm4311 kext had my device/vendor ID's. It did. So, on a different computer, I grabbed KextWizard and the BCM43XXFamilyRev2 and installed the kext into /S/L/E like you are supposed to. Ran a full myHack and rebooted. Same "Airport not configured". 

Cant run EDP without internet. The only spare (non-USB) card I have is an Intel Pro card. I'll keep digging and post what I find to be a definitive answer to this.

On a much happier note, I did find a guaranteed way to bypass the Setup Assistant needing a keyboard. I know. If you plug in a USB keyboard, it somehow makes the internal keyboard work. But I don't have one of those anymore. (Thanks kids!) I couldn't make "USBBusFix=No" work. I was getting pretty frustrated.

After some digging, I find that if you disable the hardware check for Setup Assistant, the keyboard actually works but for some reason Setup Assistant just doesn't want to use it. I'm pretty sure Setup Assistant knows the PS/2 keyboard is there and that it works, but it wants a USB keyboard. Disabling the hardware check will force the PS/2 keyboard to be used.

To disable Setup Assistant's hardware check, do the following...

Reboot into single user mode (-s) and at the prompt, run the following commands

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

nano /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist

When that file opens, use the arrow keys to scroll (it scrolls half pages at a time!) down until you find the following lines:

<string>DeviceSection</string>

<string>KeyboardTypeSection</string>

Remove those lines. Hit Control+O to write out the file. It will ask you if you are sure and if you would like to change the file name. Tap enter to tell it to save with the same name. Then hit Control+X at the same time to close Nano. 

Back at the single user prompt, type the following to reboot:

reboot now

This should bring Setup Assistant back up, without the keyboard check. The keyboard should work perfectly after this.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it all sorted. Blew away the Windows, myHack installer, and OS X partition. Then I grabbed a flash drive and recreated the myHack installer. Install went great.

After that, I deleted IO80211Family.kext and used Kext Wizard to install the Broadcom43XXFamilyRev2.kext. Then I ran myFix-Full and rebooted. Sure enough, WiFi came up and was "not configured". But this time, I could configure it in System Preferences. 

Then I ran EDP and rebooted. I got a bunch of "refuse" lines while it was loading /Extra kexts, but nothing seems to be wrong when it boots. So I updated to 10.7.5 and re-ran EDP. After a reboot, the "refuse" lines pertaining to /Extra kexts do not come back. 

Booting now works awesome. It appears as though EDP hasn't been updated to the "mirror fix" DSDT for the D520, so VGA mirroring doesn't work but extended mode does. As such, when the display goes to sleep, it comes back "pixelated". If your display has the same problem after ONLY the display goes to sleep and you wake it back up, I'm attaching user "Joe82" modified DSDT that fixes both "pixelation" and mirroring.

dsdt_d520_gma_md2.tar.gz

Ok, the "refuse" errors came back, and are as follows (Seen in console):

1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.kext.HDAEnabler, v1.0d1: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager, v161.0: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleRTC, v1.5: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer, v7.0.4: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform, v1.3.5: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons, v1.3.5: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC, v1.3.5: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub, v1.0d1: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet, v1.2: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Controller, v1.1.5: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.Apple.driver.PS2Keyboard, v1.1: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext org.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad, v1.1: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager, v1.29.1: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext org.netkas.FakeSMC, v4.2: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext org.mozodojo.IntelCPUMonitor, v1.0.1: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement, v1.0d2: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleRTC, v9.9: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler, v1.0: already have prelinked v1111.0.
1/27/13 7:06:36.000 PM kernel: Refusing new kext org.voodoo.driver.VoodooTSCSync, v1.1: already have prelinked v1111.0.

Also, it seems as though every time I boot verbose through Chameleon, it boots verbose every time after that. I can fix this by reinstalling a previous version of Chameleon and removing FileNVRam from /Extra/modules. I'm calling this a Chameleon problem, and don't think the latest EDP is at fault. (I don't use the app the new Chameleon fixes anyway, so I'm not too worried about it right now.)

Anyone have any ideas?

Definitely reproducible. I never see these "Refusing" errors until EDP is installed and ran to configure my machine. I skipped work today because my kid has pneumonia, and in between taking care of her I've reinstalled 3 times and can always reproduce these errors after EDP is installed and configured. 

What I don't understand is that its refusing most of my kexts in /Extra/Extensions, however upon OS X booting, I find that they've all loaded just fine. Interestingly enough, its not refusing I8k.kext or the patched AppleHDA.kext that is also in /Extra/Extensions.

Also, once EDP is installed and configured I lose the ability to shut down. The OS shuts off, however the machine does not. The power LED stays lit, the fans spin at full blast and it never shuts off. Don't know whats up, but I can reproduce this error consistently after EDP is installed as well.

As for the constant verbose booting...

Well, stupid me didn't realize Chameleon remembers your last boot option, so if you boot verbose, it will remember that until you boot to Chameleon and remove the last typed boot flag. :(

Ok, whats the deal? Restart works great, but shutdown doesn't work at all.

I've tried different DSDT's (joe82's and EDP's) and both operate the exact same. Then I grabbed Chameleon Wizard and made sure that "Restart Fix" was checked. (It was.) That didn't help any at all, and removing "Restart Fix" from Chameleon Wizard made the system not able to restart properly.

So I removed SleepEnabler and NullCPU, no help and now the system won't sleep at all. (I expected this.)

I guess I'm going to look into EvoReboot or OpenHaltRestart. I just don't know what else to do.

Neither worked, and this stupid fucking operating system has got me furious.

I'm blowing away OS X and just putting Linux on the machine. Its been a great run guys, but I'm done fucking with shit that doesn't work. (Or that I have to configure insanely hard to make work.)

Toodles.

All of this happens after I install EDP. Updating Chameleon doesnt help, so I reinstalled EVERYTHING and left it at EDP Chameleon.

Problem is consistent. As soon as I install EDP, I lose the ability to shutdown, I get those "Refusing" errors, and sleep stops working. As soon as the machine goes to sleep, it wakes back up. Immediately!

It doesn't really matter. I've got Slackware up and running perfectly and have no ambition to put OS X back on it.

Hi all im looking at my D520 thinking about bios update and found your D520 A08 Bios, thinking that might be handy i decided to join up and ask a few Q's..

1). do you have the .hdr file for use with linux dell bios upgrade ?

2). What slic module has been added

3). is the cert still the dell version.

4). will there be an impact on the windows xp installation currently installed when the bios is applied.

i would love to get osx working so i can replace my ageing XP SP3 install that i use for music, i have a latitude D520, an Intel DG45ID and a ASRockG41M-VS3R2.0.  both main board are integrated video x4500, im swapping out the DG45ID as it only have 4GB ram and im putting the parts onto the ASRock which has 8GB DDR3 and when ready will be using a Q9650 cpu..

any advise would be cool, and if it does work then im buying it ;) i have brothers dvd from his intel mac mini. but no access to one , well remote access maybe if he lets me. i dd'ed the dvd to iso so i can play with virtualbox, but im ubuntu only at the moment, apart from music xp install which only has xponent torq and reason 6.5 + OS updates..  cant loose it!

• Administrators

BIOS A08 for the D520 is an official Dell update, available from the Dell web site. Have a look at it (support section) for details of what it brings compared to previous versions but you shouldn't expect any negative impact on your existing XP installation. Re .hdr file, that can be extracted from the downloadable BIOS archive (tools are available from the web), but if you have XP, why use a linux bios upgrade tool???

Re: OS X installation, read-up the EDP pages & documentation that explain the whole procedure in details. You'll probably try and fail but learn along the way.