help with dell latitude d520

john67

so ive just created 3 more myhack usb sticks and all 3 do the same thing.

boot up fine, press enter and get the black/grey screen for a few minutes. then get the apple screen, after about 3 or 4 minutes i get a kernel panic.

is there any other way to create my install disc?

also my mate gave me a belkin F5D8010-4 108MBPS WIRELESS CARD is this compatible

Get OS X installed. Any version. 

Once you get up and running, replace your /Extra folder with the /Extra folder from the boot pack for the D520. This will give you proper trackpad/keyboard, USB, video, and dual core support. Sound, WiFi, sleep, etc... won't work at this point. 

What wireless card is in your D520? They originally came with Intel PRO Wireless (not compatible) and Dell DW cards (Broadcom, compatible). If you have one of the original Dell DW (1390, 1395, etc...) cards, then this should work as soon as you install OS X. I have had some issues with my Dell Wireless 1395 (BCM4312) card in Lion, requiring another kext for it to work properly. (Again, read my guide.) But I've never had an issue with it in Snow Leopard. It is usually detected by the installer without any third-party kexts. If you happen to have the DW1390 (BCM4311), this card should have absolutely no issues.

You can determine what card you have two ways:

-Install OS X using myHack, as it puts a driver in so that you can use the "lspci" command in a Terminal

-Install Linux (Any distro, any version) to a USB stick using UNetBootin and boot from that and use "lspci" in a Terminal/Konsole.

After you perform this action, it will output a bunch of text in the Terminal/Konsole. Usually the last line is the wireless card. This will tell you the deviceID's, VendorID's, card model number (BCM4311, for example), and revision version. Write that down and paste it here so we can tell which card you are working with.

Also, are you creating a myHack USB installer inside an OS X environment? (Like a virtual machine) Are you supplying myHack with the D520 boot pack? Where is the myHack install USB kernel panicking? (Use the -v flag at the Chameleon prompt when installing!)

Also, happy holidays!