Help please with wifi issue on OSX SL

t3c

Haha! I think its hilarious that your System Profiler says "Ted's Mac Pro", followed by "Model Name: Macbook". I've had this problem as well, and never found out how to fix it.

Definitely go with N rated cards, if you have a N speed router. You'll see the improvement. ;)

I'm not sure what is up with Kext Wizard. Thats a new one to me. I almost want to say that somehow you used EDP to install (or reinstall) drivers that are incorrect for your machine.

I would almost suggest a complete rebuild of OS X. Format it, reinstall OS X, build for the GMA950 D620 (Use standard selections.), and then update to 10.6.8. (You definitely want to update. Apple did a great job on 10.6, and the 10.6.8 only enhances that experience.) Use the myHack method outlined here. (Follow my D520 guide if you want. Our machines are almost identical.)

At least this way, we know OS X isn't corrupted somehow. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yes, if you did not have a legit' SL retail version, I'd strongly recommend that you get it... I have never ever seen the kind of PCI setup you attached with any of my retail installation; and I've even done through the trouble of re-installing SL 10.6.3 on my D620 GMA950, having swapped its DW1490 with my spare Intel 3945ABG this afternoon...

• Like 1

Yes, if you did not have a legit' SL retail version, I'd strongly recommend that you get it... I have never ever seen the kind of PCI setup you attached with any of my retail installation; and I've even done through the trouble of re-installing SL 10.6.3 on my D620 GMA950, having swapped its DW1490 with my spare Intel 3945ABG this afternoon...

My thoughts exactly. It was probably a "distro" used to install.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your time and efforts on this guys :-)

This whole project started off as a bit of a "Can I do this?" after I stumbled over your website how to hackintosh a D620 one day while researching something on Google. You see, I have 2 D620 for my kids and one of them wanted a MacBook or iPad or iSomething for Christmas. Ha, no way I thought but then I thought maybe I can combine the two and see what happens...

post-7995-0-64686000-1356773129_thumb.jpg post-7995-0-60402100-1356773128_thumb.jpg post-7995-0-62835000-1356778531_thumb.jpg post-7995-0-28997000-1356778544_thumb.jpg post-7995-0-99790900-1356778545_thumb.jpg

...and this is what I made him for Christmas. Dual Boot OSX and Windows 7 white Dell D620. It's a bit rough around the edges as I rushed the paint job a bit and maybe it's just a tad too white(?).

Anyway, I think a fresh install would be a good idea as the actual install was done on his brother's D620 machine with the hdd changed over afterwards. I know Win7 is fine with this usually as I done it a couple of times with thier laptops but maybe OSX is a bit different? Luckly I made a backup of the myHack/SL install USB image so should be pretty straight forward or do you think I should get another retail OSX SL disk as the one I have was meant to be a full clean version. I hear Apple are selling full retail copies of SL for about £10, if you phone them up. While talking about reinstalling, when I do so will it break my Win7 OS by messing with the boot manager or install in anyway?

I've now ordered a BROADCOM BCM94312MCG card that should work with SL and give me a working Airport connection or have I made another boo boo? If this all works I have an request to make another laptop like this one from his brother but it must be all black machine apparently.

Anyway I've waffled on a bit but just wanted to say thanks again for your time and trouble. This is a great site and I'm so glad I found you guys you've helped in making a young boy's Christmas!!

That looks amazing! The only thing I would have changed is popped off the Dell badge and replaced it with something different. Great work, however.

OS X shouldn''t have a problem switching machines, as long as they are similar. I used to pull my D520's hard drive out of my D520 and place it in people's Dell Inspiron's with GMA 950's and boot with the safe mode option to see if it would boot. If it did, I would then go ahead and throw OS X on their machine, and if it wouldn't, I'd usually advise them that it was impossible.This was back in the 10.4.11/10.5 days though. So swapping disks between machine's shouldn't give you any problems. (Unless one is a GMA, the other a nVidia?)

Theoretically, that Broadcom 94321MCG should work, as Apple used Broadcom 94321MC chips in their desktops. But this is a MiniPCI card, not a PCI card, and I really can't make any guarantees about it working out of the box. I googled around, and I can find plenty about the MC version, but not much about the MCG version. I'd say chances of it working are around 90% though. Usually someone has some sort of modified kext that will add device/vendor ID's. (You can do this yourself, also.) Just make sure you remember which color wire came off which node on the original card and hook it back up like that on the new card. (I write things like that down before I even take them apart lol. I tend to forget.)

• Like 1

Thanks for that and it looks better now it's all put back together. Funny you should say about the Dell on the cover as I'm just in the process of trying to create something to go over that using the OSXLatitude logo off your FB site.

post-7995-0-21703300-1356801859_thumb.jpg

One large one to cover the Dell cover logo and also a little one to go on the screen surround just above the power button. I'm trying printing on sticky labels but it doesn't look quite right...yet.

As for the Airport issue I have an update on that. The new/used card arrived today so was installed asap but SL didn't play ball so I did the 10.6.8 update just tom have a play really. My thinking was I'm going to have to do a full reinstall so why not give it a go and just see what happens.

So after about 20 mins on my wired network it finished and I rebooted and to my amazement I saw the Airport icon appear and to my even greater delight I could join my wireless network with no issues. Brilliant, cracked it I thought and it even survive a couple of reboots too. With success going to my head I went ahead and installed all the other updates next. But my joy was short lived as after doing the final security updates the wifi broke again. Back to square one I thought and time to have fun with Kexts again. Then I remembered to rerun your EDP as advised too and presto after a reboot the wifi is back and has survived 4 reboots and 2 cold starts, though I have had one KP during that time so still not 100% yet.

I have noticed that the actual Dell wifi indicator doesn't light up on OSX though it does on Win7. The Airport icon is fine and I'm actually writing this reply on SL over my wifi so no real problem I'm guessing but can it be made to light up under OSX?

Oh and KW still doesn't see the volumes correctly either but if things stay as they are I'm a happy bunny and my kid who's machine this is isn't going to worry if it stays working this well either.

Many thanks again everyone and an early Happy New Year to you all.

R's

Steve

PS: I think moving over to a 128gb ssd would round this project off nicely now...better start saving me thinks :-)

• Administrators
[...]

I have noticed that the actual Dell wifi indicator doesn't light up on OSX though it does on Win7.

[...]

Yes, they all do that. At best, you get BT LED, if BT is activated.

To finalise your installation, I'd suggest you install Chameleon Wizard, eventually update your Cham version and tune your boot plist as/if necessary. You can always drop us a screencopy of the Cham Wizard Boot Plist settings.

• Like 1

Nice project! 

If you need bigger logo's of OSXLatitude, have a look at our 'Press' page > http://www.osxlatitude.com/about/banners/

Thank you and I'm sure I can make use of those images too.  I'm planning on doing a version 2 of the case in the coming weeks as I can take my time on the paint job and with some form of included logos too. The printing on labels produces a nice sharp image but it's a matt finish and I want shiny...clear nail vanish sealed the ink in but only offered a satin finish at best and my cutting out isn't great either...work in progress.

Yes, they all do that. At best, you get BT LED, if BT is activated.

To finalise your installation, I'd suggest you install Chameleon Wizard, eventually update your Cham version and tune your boot plist as/if necessary. You can always drop us a screencopy of the Cham Wizard Boot Plist settings.

Watching Windows load suggests it's the actual driver that drives the turning on of the led. But what do I know and I certainly don't have the skills or time to investigate. Thanks for the answer though.

Ok Chameleon Wizard install and OMG that's looks like I could break things very easily with it. I'm interested in tuning the boot up and maybe removing those very rare but annoying random KP's on a cold start. So how do I show the current plist with CW please?

Also, while I'm here can I ask your opinion on GMABooster and having to install Chud Tools to enable the graphic boost, is it ok to do so or will it break my SL in the process?