[Solved] D630 GMA X3100: issues trying to install Mountain Lion with MLPostFactor

Lost-Entrepreneur439

Due to some unfortunate stuff that has recently happened, the only laptop I have for school use is my Latitude D630, however I'm running into an issue, unless you're running XP, the GMA X3100 Windows driver is really unstable, and I can't stand Linux, so my only option is hackintoshing it, however this is still an issue, Snow Leopard doesn't have a modern browser, Lion has a modern browser, but it's really slow and unstable from my experience, and is basically unusable, granted, since I last attempted to run Lion, I have upgraded to a Penryn CPU, however from what I've heard, Lion was garbage unless you had a Core i series CPU, even on real Macs, so I was going to do Mountain Lion, however MLPostFactor doesn't seem to work anymore, it makes a bunch of USB activity, but fails to copy most of its stuff to the Mountain Lion install USB (i can't even boot with the arch=i386 arg -- it doesnt copy the kernel). I also tried the latest version of MacPostFactor, but it wanted me to pay for Linkvertise Premium, which I'm not doing. Is there any alternative to MLPostFactor or do I just have to deal with Lion?

• Administrators

Win7 fully supported GMA X3100. I ran it on my old D630 with Intel graphics without specific issues. I'm pretty sure I was able to run Win10 on it too before I sold it off a several years ago. I may have used the Win7 drivers, I can't remember.

With regards to Lion 10.7, I never personally experienced the gremlins so many people complained about. We're now in 2024 so the D630, dating back to 2007, is going to be 17years old; that's... ancient, as are Lion (2011) and Mountain Lion (2012).

No particular reason why MLPF would no longer work as it did back in 2012/2013. Remember that you need to have a legit copy of the Mountain Lion installation package, that's all. Apple made Lion and ML readily available a few years ago, so all is well on that front. For the rest, things should be exactly as per the guide I posted back in April 2013.

Never tried any of the subsequent crap thingies that came out afterwards for Mavericks and later (MPF, etc.). In my opinion, MLPF was the best tool to use. Remember that all it does is revert back ML to DP1 kernel + kexts + other goodies and that it's not bug free (network related issues).

With regards to installation, my recommendation is as follows:

1. install ML and all updates to the latest Security Update for 10.8.5. This will be a little slow due to lack of graphics acceleration.
  2. install and apply MLPF for 10.8.4 (the tool was never updated for 10.8.5 but it's just cosmetic and all you need to do is modify the OS X system version plist afterwards)
  • use MyHack v3.3.1 to build your ML USB installer. You may grab a copy of it here.
  • you may grab the recommended versions of Chameleon and/or Enoch bootloaders here.
  • a link to the Apple URL for downloading Mountain Lion 10.8.5 is available here.
  • I've just uploaded MLPF v0.3 here given that it was deleted from its original MacRumors thread back in 2015.

This being said, it's going to be difficult to give you much support for this after more than 10 years. It's all deprecated not to say totally obsolete and not many people still have D Series Hackintosh laptops today.

I do have the original copy of 10.8.5, MLPostFactor and MyHack already, the issue is MLPostFactor seems to fail to copy files, straight away from looking at it I can tell it failed to copy itself to the utilities folder, and it fails to boot with the arch=i386 bootarg, telling me it's also failing to copy the patched kernel.

At first I thought it was just an issue with me attempting to make the MLPostFactor USB on Sonoma, but I tried copying everything I would need to the D630's (currently accel-less) Mountain Lion installation, and making the MLPostFactor USB on Mountain Lion, but it had the same issue there. I'm probably making a dumb mistake, considering all my hackintosh experience is with OpenCore.

I also decided to give NexPostFacto a shot -- it didn't work, not even a second after the Apple logo appeared it kernel panicked, giving me an error about not being able to find a driver for an ACPI device, and I had to reinstall OS X.

• Administrators

I've updated my MLPF guide given that it was written in April 2013, i.e. before the release of ML versions 10.8.4 and 10.8.5. It's a step-by-step guide so you can't go wrong normally.

• Administrators

It has to be something you're not doing properly. Can't see why the tool would not be able to write to your USB media. It's always worked flawlessly.

And there is no patching of the kernel, it's plain replacement of kernel, kexts and graphics libraries by older fat binary versions from ML Developper Preview #1.

Remember that you cannot boot the initial full vanilla ML installation in 32bit mode, the kernel does not support it. I reckon this is what you're doing. You have to boot the MLPF installer, whether you've made it on a USB key/disk or on a small partition of the internal disk as the guide suggests to do. When Chameleon (or Enoch) kicks in, you have to interrupt the process by pressing a key when you see the delay bar at the bottom of the screen, then choose the MLPF partition to boot. I think this is where you go wrong; that or you've not created the MLPF partition properly.

No, that's what I'm doing, I've installed Mountain Lion via the MyHack method, wiped my USB, created a new OS X installer using asr, ran MLPostFactor on the USB, copied the required files to /Extra, booted Chameleon off the SSD, interrupted the boot process, selected the USB, put the bootargs in, and pressed enter to boot.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Lost-Entrepreneur439 said:

[...] wiped my USB, created a new OS X installer using asr, ran MLPostFactor on the USB [...]

Tuh, tuh, tuh, exactly what I was saying: you're doing it wrong.

The new/separate/temp installer has to be an MLPF installer, not a vanilla one on which you run MLPF. So, just follow the guide's very detailed steps 3 to 10 of phase 2 and:

• from the booted vanilla/unaccelerated ML installation, run MLPF app and create an MLPF installer, either on your USB key or on a small partition of your internal disk
  • copy the bootpack (Extra folder) to the root of that MLPF installer
  • boot that MLPF installer with boot args/flags DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml arch=i386 -f that you'll type at the prompt at the bottom of the screen after you've interrupted the bootloader process at the delay bar by pressing a key
  • once this MLPF installer has booted up, do not install anything but click on Utilities menu of the Finder's bar and select MLPostFactor
  • once MLPF app loads, click Continue  until you're offered to select a destination volume
  • under the HDD icon, make sure to:
    • select your original vanilla/unaccelerated ML installation (not your MLPF installer partition)
    • select/tick ML 10.8.4 in the list of ML versions given that your initial vanilla/unaccelerated ML installation should be 10.8.5 with all security updates installed
    • click Install MLPostFactor
  • once it's all done, click Quit MLPostFactor
  • reboot your (now modified) initial ML installation with boot arg/options -f arch=i386
  • you should then reach a fully accelerated ML desktop from which you may now finish your MLPF'ed installation (steps 11 to 13 of phase 2)

You need to thoroughly follow the process and not derive from it, otherwise you see what happens...

NB: you say you create an OS X installer with asr. What's that?

I decided to just copy all of the files manually, it works, I have accel now, however whenever I attempt to connect to a wi-fi network (i've only tried wpa2 networks), it instantly says Connection timeout. Is there any fix to that? I have the DW1395.

update on the wifi issues - fixed it, i had to downgrade airportd.

i do have some other issues though

every 15 minutes or so, my dvd drive reinitializes (making the sound the dvd drive makes when you first turn on the laptop)

in system information, my cpu shows up as a core 2 duo, is there any way to change that to say pentium?

i can't restart or shut down, the laptop will just sit on a grey screen with a mouse cursor until i remove the battery and charger.

• Administrators

DW1395 is not natively support. Did you install the pre-patched kexts or patch the vanilla IO80211Family kext. It's required; consult our Wireless card inventory thread.

As stated in the MLPF v0.3 thread I linked above, airportd deamon also needs to be replaced. It's mentioned in our Wireless card inventory thread too. MLPF takes care of that but you chose to go your own way, so...

Good luck with the rest. I'm sure you'll find the existing answers.