My D620 Nvidia based laptop has gone belly up...

sipart

Hi,

I have dismantled my D630 today. The MB is out. I have a few questions:

Did you guys remove the USB/Ethernet/modem ports, that appears as a daughter card and could be removed (I see 2 screws), or you just baked the entire thing?

I see the thermal contact on the nVidia chip is a kind of soft padding and I would like to replace it with a piece of metal. When you don't have pure copper pennies at hand (nice recycling, geo mac), what would you recommend to get an optimal thermal conduction toward the heatsink & that would fit?

At last I need to work in the kitchen and I really need to know: how bad is the smell when you cook & after?

I have my reflow no clean stuff, I would try to cook it this week.

Guys, I am so nervous...

• Administrators

remove as much as possible if you can disconnect it. also the plastic stickers like where the wifi cards and ram are they will shrivel up and melt. as for the blue pad copper shims will do. i just butchered a piece off of some other laptop heatsink. then trimmed it to fit you have to watch out for not touching other components or the top cover. i think about a 1" square fit's but dont quote me on that one it's been over a year i had to redo my mobo.

OK,

Finally had the time to cook today.

10 minutes 30 seconds, in a propane kitchen oven with less than precise thermostat...

Still, IT WORKS!!! God thank you all for those tips, I used my D630 for 3 hours now and it looks good.

I finally found some pennies, old enough to be like 98% copper to replace the padding on the nVidia & chipset. Now my fan is dust free. Machine stays quiet and cool, like below 40 degrees with light usage and below 70 with both cores at 100% while doing heavy indexing, with a nice 26 degrees kitchen temperature. Really the coolest I ever saw it.

Best of all: I really understand & feel I own this machine now.

Again: THANK YOU!