Display backlight Driver for Asus Notebooks

EMlyDinEsH

Here is your edited dsdt and compiled by me with the changes needed for this driver to work.

Thank you for the help! The kext is working now, but sometimes changing the brightness freezes the system for no obvious reasons. System.log doesn't have anything in it about this freeze.

Hi, EMlyDinEsH. i find MBP8.1 with HD3000 has 16 steps, max is 0x400(1024) and min is 0, one step is 0x40(64). For me, my laptop is Dell N4110, also has HD3000 inside, i can see 16 steps from dsdt, the min is 0x6 and max is 0x64.

What I Do:

I correct the _BCL method code like Apple's, and install the driver from post 1, and edit the value in the info.plist. The result is: i lost the brightness control by press customize key from SystemPreFerence, it shows normal but nothings happens, also the actual level is the one i set in the info.plist.

So, can you share the source code here, then i will try to set 16 steps in the code and something else. BTW, the Fn key(Fn+F4=DOWN, Fn+F5=UP) adjusts brightness isn't work, it seems that it only works will dell 's driver, i tried to use debug version voodoops2controll.kext, to obtain the scan code but no luck.

Just got a freeze while the laptop was idling. Looks like it tried to dim and then turn off the brightness because of the 10 minute delay setting, but it failed.

Also this freeze sometimes happens when I switch from the AC to the battery.

Strange, can you send me your ioreg file and let me know specs?

Hi, EMlyDinEsH. i find MBP8.1 with HD3000 has 16 steps, max is 0x400(1024) and min is 0, one step is 0x40(64). For me, my laptop is Dell N4110, also has HD3000 inside, i can see 16 steps from dsdt, the min is 0x6 and max is 0x64.

What I Do:

I correct the _BCL method code like Apple's, and install the driver from post 1, and edit the value in the info.plist. The result is: i lost the brightness control by press customize key from SystemPreFerence, it shows normal but nothings happens, also the actual level is the one i set in the info.plist.

So, can you share the source code here, then i will try to set 16 steps in the code and something else. BTW, the Fn key(Fn+F4=DOWN, Fn+F5=UP) adjusts brightness isn't work, it seems that it only works will dell 's driver, i tried to use debug version voodoops2controll.kext, to obtain the scan code but no luck.

My driver is made to work with Asus notebooks in mind with their bios implementation. So, i would like to know does my driver works for you if you follow the steps of first post with 10 steps?

PS: regarding souce code, I'll add this to git and let you know asp.

Hi, EMlyDinEsH.

Thank you for the great work. I have sony VPCF-22F and installed OSX 10.9. I tried a lot of times to fix problem of make variable brightness, but nothing. My video card Nvidia GeForce 540m, but working well. I get some information that on my laptop dual nVidia. Can you help me to fix this problem and can I use your kext? 

My DSDT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3d4j66t9sq1jdu/dsdt.aml

Hi, EMlyDinEsH.

Thank you for the great work. I have sony VPCF-22F and installed OSX 10.9. I tried a lot of times to fix problem of make variable brightness, but nothing. My video card Nvidia GeForce 540m, but working well. I get some information that on my laptop dual nVidia. Can you help me to fix this problem and can I use your kext? 

My DSDT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3d4j66t9sq1jdu/dsdt.aml

Well, my kext is only for Asus notebooks. But, i can l help you with your issue in some way so i need your complete system dump based on dsdt/ssdt patching thread. Send me that dump so i can look for a solution to your issue.

Hi EMlyDinEsH,

I have an Asus G73SW-A1 and I am trying desperately to get screen brightness working. I must be the only person that got backlit keys before screen brightness LOL! I have tried other kexts with no luck and then I found your site. I've edited my DSDT even though BCMD didn't exist in my DSDT. It seemed to just be a variable hanging out so I added it. Have no idea if that is workable or not. I get the slider bar appearing in display but it does nothing. Can you take a look at my DSDT and let me know if this kext can even work with my machine? 

Finally, I am using an AppleACPIPlatform.kext from an install package I downloaded a while ago. I saw earlier in this thread that this can conflict with your kext. Should I replace it with a vanilla version of just delete it? Will I get a kernel panic?

http://www.dbednarczyk.com/DSDT_Before_and_After.zip

Thanks in Advance for any help!!

Hi EMlyDinEsH,

I have an Asus G73SW-A1 and I am trying desperately to get screen brightness working. I must be the only person that got backlit keys before screen brightness LOL! I have tried other kexts with no luck and then I found your site. I've edited my DSDT even though BCMD didn't exist in my DSDT. It seemed to just be a variable hanging out so I added it. Have no idea if that is workable or not. I get the slider bar appearing in display but it does nothing. Can you take a look at my DSDT and let me know if this kext can even work with my machine? 

Finally, I am using an AppleACPIPlatform.kext from an install package I downloaded a while ago. I saw earlier in this thread that this can conflict with your kext. Should I replace it with a vanilla version of just delete it? Will I get a kernel panic?

http://www.dbednarczyk.com/DSDT_Before_and_After.zip

Thanks in Advance for any help!!

For brightness control with your Nvidia GPU, use the following dsdt edit for GPU _DSM method and use my Fn HotKey driver from Projects section:

"AAPL, backlight-control", 
 Buffer (0x04)
 {
   0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
 }, 
"@0, backlight-control", 
  Buffer (0x04)
{
 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
}, 
 "@0, pwm-info", 
  Buffer (0x14)