e6430 with NVS5200/Intel HD 4000

gouki

You should use this guide and boot pack instead, but keep the SSDT file for your processor.

used that guide, with the Extra_ML folder replacing mine, and now have a bit of work cut out for me trying to get my old Extra folder back through Terminal off my usb stick ;)

no matter, i don't mind being in terminal.

i went against my better judgement on that one, not because you suggested it of course, just because i had a look in the files before using them and everything looked like it wasn't going to fit.  no fix file for the 1600x900, and in fact the boot.plist had the resolution set at 1080p, plus what appeared to be a smbios.plist for an i7 Ivy Bridge .. but i'm still trying to figure out where the smbios.plist fits into the whole picture and how incorrect info in there affects a successful or unsuccessful boot.

now i can't find a single flag that will get me close to a successful boot (-x -f -F config=Null config= DSDT=Null DSDT= ... yeah, still don't understand if you're supposed to type the word "Null" or just leave it blank.  somewhere i read that the "DSDT" is case-sensitive, but that's all the info i could find on the matter)

so far i've not managed a single scenario where i can boot successfully (including the usb installer) without the -x flag .. and i have tried (and documented) a LOT of combinations of a lot of boot flags.

in fact, i still have the "Invalid Partition" message at boot-up, though i must have gone through 7 Chameleons by now.  maybe it's down to the fact that i'm only ever working in safe boot mode.

still plugging away at it, reading reading reading :)

thanks for any more advice.

i thought for a second when i sat down at this after work tonight (seems like a day ago) that i came across someone by the name of something like cupcakks, or similar, who had a very similar machine to mine.. but i managed to lose the webpage and hadn't bookmarked it yet.  can't find it in my history either.  if anyone out there in osxlatitude knows this user i'd be interested to swap notes.

three 10-hour sessions and i'm still booting into safe mode.  it's a marathon! :)

• Moderators

i thought for a second when i sat down at this after work tonight (seems like a day ago) that i came across someone by the name of something like cupcakks, or similar, who had a very similar machine to mine.. but i managed to lose the webpage and hadn't bookmarked it yet.  can't find it in my history either.  if anyone out there in osxlatitude knows this user i'd be interested to swap notes.

three 10-hour sessions and i'm still booting into safe mode.  it's a marathon! :)

Did you mean cuppscakes https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2815-e6430-cant-boot-usb/?

She does indeed have almost the same config as yours except she doesn't have discrete Nvidia card on her system.

Have you look here in our compatibility list?

• Moderators

I just updated to Mavericks and all was well except invalid boot partition so I installed Chamelion and now am back to a verbose boot that either I have to hit enter or do a string at a boot prompt.

Can I get rid of that?

check to see if you have -v in your boot.plist

• Moderators

I didn't do it knowingly, it happened when I installed Chameleon like I did in 10.8.5. to fix invalid boot partition. How do I fix it?

Thanks.

Copy the Themes folder from your USB Installer to Extra or use Chameleon Wizard to download a customized one.

• Moderators

I copied & pasted, it asked if I wanted to replace it & I said yes & same thing.

Guess  need to search Chameleon Wizard as I have no clue what that is.

Thanks

Do you have more than 1 partition of OSX?

If so, make sure that partition also have the Themes folder.