Snow Leopard on a Sun Ultra 20

CharlieFoxtrot

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Ok, that's what I thought: waiting for root device...

That's not related to the LAN interface but to the chipset. We can try and fix that too, but try the 32bit audio kext in 32bit kernel mode first and see if you get audio.

Now, you don't necessarily need to run the kernel in 64bit mode. The machine will boot in 32bit mode but that does in no way prevent the computer to run 64bit programs and applications. It's not like Windows where the 32bit version can only execute 32bit code and RAM is limited to 3.5Go. No such limitations with Mac OS X.

Ok, here is where I'm at.  In 32bit mode, it seems to run fine.  In fact, if it will run the 64bit apps, then I'm fine with 32bit.  The audio device is working now and all seems to be good. 

My goal is to get this up to 10.7.5 (Lion) Server.  While I can use this as a desktop, it needs to be a MySQL server more than that. So, again thanks for all the help, you guys have been awesome. 

Do we know what issues I will encounter going to Lion? :$

• Administrators

It turned out to be an easy installation then, great!

No idea about potential issues with Lion; I've never setup Mac OS X on an AMD system but give it a try, you'll know soon enough. ;)

Wow, I think I have really done it now!!  I attempted to upgrade to 10.6.8 in order to get the App Store application.  Once the upgrade was done, it hangs on the reboot.  I tried to reboot using the ModCD and selecting the Apple partition.  Here is the verbose output that came from that reboot.

• Administrators

a little advice from someone that has been in your shoes. you should really clone your working system to a second partition because of issues like this. one for testing and one to be able to fix what breaks. if not there will be many unnecessary re installs since your still trying to work out what will work for you.

• Administrators

I'll send you these kexts from 10.6.3; I have a copy somewhere. I expect you would be able to boot in single user mode (using -s boot flag) and then copy the kexts to /S/L/E. You could then run the commands to repair permissions, rebuild cache and then reboot. Alternatively, you could reboot with -f flag or UserKernelCache=No option to bypass caches.