[How To] Dell Inspiron17 3721 - Fully Working

hibernian56

• Administrators

Bluetooth is very easy to fix. We've mentioned it the minute 10.8.5 got out: Apple changed (again) the Bluetooth kexts, so patching/repatching is required. Patch CSR or Broadcom or whatever kext applies to your module. Use lspci if required to identify your exact module.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I appreciate your efforts and tips. Most of my troubles are due to the fact that I upgraded to 10.8.5 - aren't you still running 10.8.3? I booted from my 10.8.4 external backup USB HD, and the WebCam opens right up in FaceTime AND PhotoBooth. My Bluetooth isn't working (in 10.8.5) either.

I upgraded to 10.8.5, thats what is running now.

So here are the 3 things that need fixing in 10.8.5:

- Built-In WebCam

- Built-In SD Card Reader

- Bluetooth

I hope these are only Kext issues, and that I (we) can eventually find the ones that work in 10.8.5

I think they are only kext issues, once I upgraded I couldn't boot until I changed some of the base kexts back to the 10.8.3 ones.

I had bluetooth working the other night, but then it stopped. I can't seem to figure out what I did.

SD Card reader!! I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even notice we had one until you mentioned it... 

I forgot that I replaced the Dell 1704 combo half-card with an Atheros AR5B195 - it is BOTH WiFi AND Bluetooth! (This was done per hibernian56's recommendation, and it DID fix WiFi. Once it was installed, it just WORKED (for WiFi, that is). Now all I have to do is find a Kext for it for BLUETOOTH...)

In lspci, it comes up listed as:

"Network Controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)"

I should mention that I have installed myHack - if I remove the myHack Kext from S/L/E, it breaks USB.

(WebCam is also still BROKEN in 10.8.5, but it works in 10.8.4) Sure wish I knew more about how these Kexts work....

If you figure out which Kext(s) control Dell's built-in WebCam, please let me know. I'd like to try to "copy" them from my 10.8.4 HD, as the WebCam WORKS GREAT when booted up from that HD. I downloaded some WiFi/Bluetooth Kexts for my Atheros AR5B195 from OSx86.net, which were "alleged" to work in 10.8.5, and installed them. They conflicted with myHack, so I moved the myHack Kext out of S/L/E. When I re-booted, the USB mouse didn't work, but Bluetooth showed an icon with all the usual options in the Menu Bar! Unfortunately, I was "freaked out" about the loss of the USB mouse function (Trackpad still worked but was sluggish), so instead of trying to configure a Bluetooth Mouse, I reversed the changes I had made to get the USB mouse working again. Now, no matter what I try, I cannot get the Bluetooth functions to come back in the Menu bar, even though there's a Bluetooth icon present. When selected, it shows the following text (dimmed out): Bluetooth: Not Available. I am MYSTIFIED.....I tried going through the exact same steps as I did the first time, when I had the brief "working" Bluetooth Menu bar item, but I could NOT get it to re-appear. I would considering going BACK to 10.8.4 until someone in the "Hackintosh community" figures out how to fix these problems in 10.8.5, except my 10.8.4 HD doesn't have working Bluetooth OR Trackpad - I'm afraid to mess with it for fear of "breaking it", and losing the working Webcam function it has! It's a "Catch-22" situation right now....

• Administrators

I forgot that I replaced the Dell 1704 combo half-card with an Atheros AR5B195 - it is BOTH WiFi AND Bluetooth! (This was done per hibernian56's recommendation, and it DID fix WiFi. Once it was installed, it just WORKED (for WiFi, that is). Now all I have to do is find a Kext for it for BLUETOOTH...)

In lspci, it comes up listed as:

"Network Controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)"

You haven't found the forum Search facility yet???

-> https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2925-bluetooth-firmware-uploader/

Attached is the list of Kexts from my system you asked for a couple of days ago.

NOTE: Today, Software Update showed OS-X 10.8.5 Supplemental Update was available, so I installed it.

Didn't seem to "break" anything, but then again, it didn't "fix" anything either. (GRIN)

Here's the post-install Version info. from my system: Software  OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

Still can't get Bluetooth, WebCam, or SD Card Reader to work....

mikeguru Dell 17-3721 Kexts.txt

You haven't found the forum Search facility yet???

-> https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2925-bluetooth-firmware-uploader/

Hervé;

Yes, of course I have. But there is little or no information for our specific model of Dell Inspiron (17-3721) anywhere to be found. As I stated in one of my first posts, "hibernian56" is the only Forum Member to have successfully installed OS-X on this specific model. Since I am by no means an "expert" at this stuff, I have little knowledge about things like "DSDT" files nor how to edit them. Wish I did, as that would probably allow me to solve all three of the remaining "issues" I have on my 17-3721 in OS-X 10.8.5 - Bluetooth, WebCam, and SDC Card Reader not working.

(Any assistance you could offer would be greatly appeciated by BOTH of us!)

- I replaced my WiFi/Bluetooth module with an Atheros AR5B195 - WiFi works OOB, Bluetooth doesn't.

- The "factory" built-in SD Card Reader is a Realtek RTS5179. Although Realtek has a Mac OS USB Smart Card Reader "Patch" available, it does not fix the problem. (It dates from June 2011). Also, installing "AnyCardReader.kext" didn't help.

- The built-in WebCam (Sonix Tech. CNFB194) has no Mac OS-X drivers available that I can find. I've tried using a variety of "tools" to try to get it working, including the installation of "AnyiSightCam.kext", which didn't help. It DID WORK in 10.8.4, but I have no idea what "changed" between that installation and the update to 10.8.5. (I have a bootable external USB HD with 10.8.4 for this model of Dell that was my original Install - that's how I know it works in 10.8.4).

Keep in mind that I'm using many of the Kexts and DSDT files originally uploaded by hibernian56 as the "++Tools.zip" attachment in his original Post...

• Administrators

the SD card reader is most likely PCIE not usb so not much of a solution for that. it  usually is very flakey and unstable even when it "kinda works" 

the BT might have been integrated into your wifi card as a combo. I'm not sure if your replacement is also a combo card. so you might have completely removed your BT module in the exchange.

as for the webcam. find the driver it is loading in 10.8.4 that works and then replace it in 10.8.5 if not then take the 10.8.5 kext open it's plist and add your webcam's device id's to the plist

Hi guys, I'm quite new here. I'm currently using a hackintosh PC but I wanted to change to a laptop because of portability.

Thanks for this guide but I'm wondering if the same process will work on Dell Inspiron 17R 3721 2117U.

All stuff that is important to me are the business and office tools in Mac and Adobe Suite and ofcourse wireless connectivity. Thanks looking forward for the peeps response. Thanks again in advance :) Cheers!