ML on E6430 with Intel HD4000 only

ktbos

Ok, then I would say you have an issue either with the DSDT table in relation to screen definition or with the FrameBuffer. Did you try to boot in normal mode with display out to an external screen (HDMI or VGA, I don't know which you have/which works) ?

You have the Intel HD4000-only model, I mean no NVS 5200M, right?

I did try booting with an external HDMI display but as I expected, it doesn't ever switch over to HDMI.  It is ignored from boot up through when it hangs.  This model has no VGA output so I can't try that. 

Yes, the Intel HD4000 only.  I didn't pay for the NVIDIA and it doesn't show under Windows or in the BIOS.  (my BIOS: BIOS.txt.zip)

Thanks for the tip on testing the myHack changes. 

So assuming I do have an issue with DSDT and/or Framebuffer, any suggestions on how to proceed? I'm all for trying changes to Jake's DSDT but wouldn't know where to start. (And note that there's more different between Jake's 6430 and mine than just the display rez.) 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

So assuming I do have an issue with DSDT and/or Framebuffer, any suggestions on how to proceed? I'm all for trying changes to Jake's DSDT but wouldn't know where to start. (And note that there's more different between Jake's 6430 and mine than just the display rez.) 

Really? I would have thought his E6430s, BIOS A11, Intel HD 4000, 1366x768 & 1600x900 would be the same as yours, CPU and Lower res LCD excluded possibly. But since CPU does not matter for DSDT (contrary to SSDT), I would have expected his DSDT to work Ok.

We could also compare DSDTs between 1366x768 and 1600x900 HD4000 models to check all possible differences.

Really? I would have thought his E6430s, BIOS A11, Intel HD 4000, 1600x900 would be the same as yours, CPU and Lower res LCD excluded possibly. But since CPU does not matter for DSDT (contrary to SSDT), I would have expected his DSDT to work Ok.

Jake's specs as posted in his Guide:

BIOS A11 | i5-3320M 2.6GH | 4GB DDR3 | Intel HD 4000, 1366x768

And mine as summarized from my BIOS txt:

BIOS A12 | i7-3520M 2.90GHz | 12 GB DDR3 | Intel HD 4000, 1600x900

I didn't know that CPU wouldn't matter for DSDT.  But since his display is different, and since that's what I'm chasing after here, I would have assumed that was enough for it to mean it shouldn't work.  Regardless, his *.aml files didn't work when I have tested his bootpack with no changes, even after adding the Framebuffer kext.    It's the same result with the hang before the login screen. 

• Administrators

Watch out with BIOS. It's best to have same BIOS as those listed, especially with DSDT tables since they are extracted from BIOS. I would recommend you revert to version A11 if possible as DSDT tables appeared to work with that particular version.

• Moderators

Jake, not only were we replying at the same time, but that's the next thing I was going to try!  (In fact, I think I have tried it already but I probably didn't run myFix after it so that test would have been moot.) 

Here's what I did:

- staged Extra directory using bootpack from guide (new copy to ensure no lingering junk from past attempts)

- replaced dsdt.aml, SSDT.aml, SSDT-1.aml, and SSDT-2.aml in Extra with osxjeff's

- added Framebuffer from guide using 10.8.4 version, renamed to AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext

- modified boot plist to change resolution to 1600x900x32

- Used myHack to load Extra on to USB stick

- Used myHack to run myFix, Full

The result:  hangs in the same place before login. 

Next for me to try is pulling out kexts one by one and see if I can get any further (even if something else breaks).  Each time I do that, I'll need to rerun myFix.  It is so slow to run Full, though.  Any tips on when I should run Full vs. when I can run Quick?  It would save me a lot of time if I could do Quick when making these changes.  Or can I just remove the kexts from inside myHack.kext by deleting them from the file system under myHack.kext and then reboot with Kernel cache off? 

You are running myFix on system as well right? Not just on the USB Installer?

There's no difference in the dsdt between the 1366x768 or the 1600x900 model, the modded Framebuffer kext is the only thing needed for the 1600x900, otherwise you'll just get a black screen after boot.

@ktbos, can you list your Video Memory size? That has an affect on what connector your display is.

• Moderators

If there's no DSDT difference between the 2 res models, then I'd strongly recommend that Ktbos switches back to BIOS A11. It appears that is the version you and osxjeff (and others) were/are running...

I just updated my BIOS to A12, no issue with boot up and things seems to still working as before.

Jake and Hervé, before going on with debugging info, I wanted to thank you both for all of the great information.  It isn't fixed yet, but rather than thank you exclusively for a fix (which I still hope to be able to do!), I wanted to thank for you all the time you have taken already to do the debugging.  I'm liking it here at OSXLatitude already. 

You are running myFix on system as well right? Not just on the USB Installer?

There's no difference in the dsdt between the 1366x768 or the 1600x900 model, the modded Framebuffer kext is the only thing needed for the 1600x900, otherwise you'll just get a black screen after boot.

@ktbos, can you list your Video Memory size? That has an affect on what connector your display is.

No difference in the DSDT?  Oh, that's really useful info.  Thanks.  Is there a difference for CPU?  I think Hervé had said he didn't think there was.  That would mean the DSDT you have in the guide should work fine for me despite the different specs? 

Jake, thanks for checking the BIOS version.  Good to know we don't have a BIOS compatibility issue. 

I have not reinstalled throughout any of this debugging.  I've only been modifying the USB test stick's boot characteristics.  (And therefore not changing the USB install stick at all.)  So yes, myFix has been run (now, properly!) on the "system" - what I am calling the USB test stick.  (I haven't even put the hard drive back in the laptop while I've been doing all this testing.) 

Here's the Video section from my BIOS Settings / General / Stystem Information:

Video Controller       = Intel HD Graphics
Video BIOS Version     = 2158v12
Video Memory           = 64 MB
Panel Type             = 14.0" HD+
Native Resolution      = 1600 by 900

"on what connector your display is"?  Oh, does that mean there are different vendors for display and mine may be different from yours?  Does our Video BIOS match and if not, does that get updated along with the computer BIOS? 

• Moderators

Jake and Hervé, before going on with debugging info, I wanted to thank you both for all of the great information.  It isn't fixed yet, but rather than thank you exclusively for a fix (which I still hope to be able to do!), I wanted to thank for you all the time you have taken already to do the debugging.  I'm liking it here at OSXLatitude already. 

No difference in the DSDT?  Oh, that's really useful info.  Thanks.  Is there a difference for CPU?  I think Hervé had said he didn't think there was.  That would mean the DSDT you have in the guide should work fine for me despite the different specs? 

Jake, thanks for checking the BIOS version.  Good to know we don't have a BIOS compatibility issue. 

I have not reinstalled throughout any of this debugging.  I've only been modifying the USB test stick's boot characteristics.  (And therefore not changing the USB install stick at all.)  So yes, myFix has been run (now, properly!) on the "system" - what I am calling the USB test stick.  (I haven't even put the hard drive back in the laptop while I've been doing all this testing.) 

Here's the Video section from my BIOS Settings / General / Stystem Information:

Video Controller       = Intel HD Graphics
Video BIOS Version     = 2158v12
Video Memory           = 64 MB
Panel Type             = 14.0" HD+
Native Resolution      = 1600 by 900

"on what connector your display is"?  Oh, does that mean there are different vendors for display and mine may be different from yours?  Does our Video BIOS match and if not, does that get updated along with the computer BIOS? 

Take a look at this http://iFail.me/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23300. The platformid differs depending on your video ram size. So far on all my Dell E series with the HD4000 graphics, I've been using AAPL,ig-platform-id: 01660003, Stolen RAM for FB: 64MB, Pipes: 2, Ports: 4, FBMem: 2 which gave me the best results.

If you have spare HDD, with the updated USB Installer (make sure to run myfix on the Installer too), can you build a fresh install? Just want to validate if it's not an USB issue. I don't have an USB big enough for a build, so can't test that for you.