A few questions

bobdamnit

dude.. just follow the wiki... hundreds have done that before you ;)

Wiki's kinda vague. (edit) Ok, so no it really isn't. I'm just stupid and didn't find the page you guys were referencing. My bad. The EDP edptool explination is epic!

Guess I'll just give it a whirl. Most that will happen is it doesn't work. :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wiki is precise without alot of bullshit ;) .. thats what people want.. something clean.. simple.. straith forward...

Can't say as I disagree with being simple and clean.

Straight forward? I guess. Took me a few looks to find what I was after, but I found it.

Ok, I installed OS X today. I must say, it was pretty painless. Major thanks to everyone who contributed to the EDP package (SUPER AWESOME!!!), and everyone involved in helping out in making this as simple as it could be. (Special thanks to vanginger for finding the Broadcom Wifi fix, and outlining how to use it!)

I do have a few quirks however. I installed the VoodooPS2 driver, and while edgescrolling is great, I cannot enable two-finger scrolling. Nor can I enable trackapd tapping. (I MUST have that.) There is a "Trackpad" preference pane, however it doesn't detect any trackpad. :( Any way I can resolve this? (I have an ALPS trackpad, sadly.)

Slice's driver gives me tapping and a working Trackpad preference pane. Can deal with edge scrolling, but I would love two-finger scrolling. Worked in Leopard with FFScroll package from InsanelyMac. Can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88811. Don't know if it works for Snow Leopard. (Some report that it works in 10.6.3, but no further.) {edit: I attempted this two-finger scroll on 10.6.7. Causes "Insecure Start Up Items" in /Library/StartupItems. Does not appear to load, FFScroll preference pane will load, but nothing I change makes a difference. Will cause random after-boot KP. Don't know how to remove manually, so starting a clean install. Should be up and running in about 30 minutes.}

Sleep works after enabling the BIOS password. Hibernation works thanks to SleepEnabler. After sleep, trackpad tapping is disabled with Slice's driver, and left trackpad buttons gets quirky. I have to click the button, then click the trackpad in order to make a left-click button.

I'm not sure if I'm booting 32-bit or 64-bit. I assume 64-bit, because Activity Monitor is labeling everything as a 64-bit process. That doesn't make sense to me though, because last I knew the GMA 950 did not have a 64-bit kext. Mine seems to be working great, however. No artifacts, no scree-sleep trick required. Picked up properly in System Profiler, with full QE/CI support. Anyone wanna fill me in?

Working on getting the I8kfanGUI app working. Worked great in Leopard. (PS: Slice, if you go to that insanelymac page for the Dell Fan Control, I am "ilovebooze420" from that thread.) Can get utility to work if I manually load the kext every boot, but kext will not load from /S/L/E by itself.

Edit: definitely running 32-bit.

Computer lags badly on startup. I have to wait about 2 minutes before I can fully use my computer without seeing the spinning beachball every 10 seconds for thirty seconds.

I kind of laughed when I looked in System Profiler and found that my D520 was picked up as a MacBook Pro. If anything, its closer to the GMA 950 MacBook's. Eventually, I'll get around to modifying that.

Still no luck with the 2-Finger Scroll/FFS package. Still get the "Insecure StartUp items" message, even after changing ownership on those files to root:wheel. On the positive side, it no longer causes kernel panics and I figured out how to remove it manually. I would love for this to work on Snow Leopard, and am certainly willing to help get this working properly.

Because both VoodooPS2 and Slice's PS2 drivers are buggy on my ALPS trackpad, I've gone back to Apple's default. It doesn't enable two finger scroll, and it won't detect a trackpad in the preference pane. (Both Voodoo and Slice's drivers give me erratic mouse movement, as well as SUPER FAST edge scrolling.)

Still can't make I8kfan.kext load on start up. It will load manually though.

Coolbook Controller gave me speedstep support. D520 is currently running at a whopping 40*C, which is dead on par with Windows 7.

Managed to get the "Insecure Startup Items" message to quit. Instead of "root:wheel"ing the StartupItems folder, I root:wheel"ed everything inside. That stopped the error messages, but its still not loading the FFScroll driver.

Even loading the Daemon (sudo /usr/local/bin/FFScrollDaemon) doesn't load the driver. I have a feeling its due to the fact that OS X cannot detect a working trackpad.

Ok, I've now done two fresh installs. Plan was to test all mouse drivers in EDP.

VoodooPS2 now causes erratic mouse movements. When I use the trackpad, its like I'm pushing the right-click/left-click buttons at the same time. Mouse jumps all over the place, and moving up/down on the trackpad causes left/right movement on the mouse cursor. Left/right movement on the trackpad causes left/right movement of the mouse cursor. USB mouse works just fine.

Slice's driver no longer works. Doesn't do anything, and plugging a USB mouse gives me nothing.

ApplePS2 gives me normal trackpad usage, however I cannot tap-click, scroll, right-click, and the "7" key repeats and I cannot figure out how to stop it.

This is pissing me off enough to drop OS X. Seriously. I don't want to have to carry a mouse with me in order to use my D520.

• Administrators

1. We are aware of most of the bugs you have reported, remember.. its still a Dell.. not a mac.. nothing is perfect, so be happy for what you have :)

2. Dont use safari.. it *beeeeep* on osx86.. use chrome.. www.google.com/chrome .. faster and better...

1. We are aware of most of the bugs you have reported, remember.. its still a Dell.. not a mac.. nothing is perfect, so be happy for what you have :)

2. Dont use safari.. it *beeeeep* on osx86.. use chrome.. www.google.com/chrome .. faster and better...

1. I know you are aware of most of the bugs I have reported. I know its still a Dell, but in Leopard I had two-finger scroll. Can we perhaps rework the FFScroll driver? I'm more than willing to help with that!

2. I will not install Google Chrome on my computer. Last thing I need is a Google datamine on my computer. Plus, I like using the native applications with the OS.

Oddly enough, I was using the ApplePS2 driver with a USB keyboard/mouse so that I could actually use the computer. But, I decided to try the Slice driver again. Seems to be working fairly well. I found a VoodooPS2 preference pane over at InsanelyMac that seems to work with Slice's driver. While using a USB keyboard/mouse combo, I opened the prefpane and enabled edgescrolling and tap-click. Everything seems to be working now. Driver is almost as good as the Windows ALPS driver. Edgescrolling is a little fast, but with the prefpane I was able to slow it down. Was also able to slow down the mouse cursor while in the prefpane. (It has a daemon that will allow you to save your preferences, but according to Insanelymac, it doesn't work for ALPS drivers. I can confirm that it doesn't work.) If you guys would like, I can upload it here. (It may be the one already in EDP, but I'm doubting it because that one gives me "Synaptics not found" errors.

Really, the only thing missing would be "back/forward" gestures! ;) (I'm hoping BetterTouchTool will fix that!)